PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The nut fell of!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakobWithTheExplorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: The nut fell of! Reply with quote

Just now, when I was changing strings on my guitar, the nut fell of the neck. It is only atatched on the neck side. Now, do I have to glue It and will it stick there if i do?
/jakob
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The nut fell of! Reply with quote

JakobWithTheExplorer wrote:
Just now, when I was changing strings on my guitar, the nut fell of the neck. It is only atatched on the neck side. Now, do I have to glue It and will it stick there if i do?
/jakob

Oops! Confused

Setting a nut is very easy, just be patient and take your time, be careful!

Yes, you'll have to glue it, I presume it was glued and simply came off. If so, there is probably some dried glue left on the neck and/or the nut. Carefully remove the glue from both using a file or sand paper, jewlers tools (what ever you have) so it doesn't mess up how the nut is expected to sit. Be very careful filing on the neck, one slip and you'll be angry.

I use CA glue for nuts (it's basically crazy glue) you don't need to use a lot. If excess comes out the sides either quickly and carefully clean it off or you'll have to file it off when it has dried.

Let it cure for 24 hours if you can. CA glue sets quickly but doesn't fully cure right away.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
marksound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody asked, but that's never stopped me before. Laughing

There is a minor debate over this on other forums, but you can also use a dab of Elmer's, Titebond Original, etc. Basically what you're trying to accomplish is holding the nut in place when the strings are off. Do what works for you.
Mike Detlefsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

There is a minor debate over this on other forums, but you can also use a dab of Elmer's, Titebond Original, etc. Basically what you're trying to accomplish is holding the nut in place when the strings are off. Do what works for you.

Agreed. There's no functional reason to use anything other than a small drop of white glue or the like to keep it from falling off.[/i]
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

Ugh... Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

My experience has been Titebond/Elmers will:

Not set quickly at all and slide if not clamped (clampings a good idea regardless)

Won't say on or won't stick at all, I usually use GraphTech nuts and the stuff don't stick without something like CA.

But, they're right, it doesn't have to be CA, I just gave up on chancing having to do it more than once. Wink

alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, use SuperGlue just one drop on the backside and one drop on the bottom side. I don't think you need to clamp it, just hold it for a couple of minutes and when you put on the strings it should be taken care of, now this is just how I would handle it and I'm not expert but I would not use Elmers. Elmers is good for wood but the guitar has been painted or laminated or both and SuperGlue would work and hold the best. later
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
Just my opinion, use SuperGlue just one drop on the backside and one drop on the bottom side.

alfonso, not sure if you're aware, when I've been referring to 'CA Glue' the common / street names for it are Krazy Glue and Super Glue. Wink

alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,
Yes I knew that's what you were saying and you're right, I talked to a tech. so yes I was agreeing with you but I also wanted to say why it would be the glue to use as opposed to the Elmers. Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
Gorecki,
Yes I knew that's what you were saying and you're right, I talked to a tech. so yes I was agreeing with you but I also wanted to say why it would be the glue to use as opposed to the Elmers. Wink

Only reasons it is a 'better' option to wood glue or Elmers like are quick curing process and in some cases the Elmers / Wood glue won't stick to the surface. i.e. Graphite, Plastic (marginal), brass.

I also like to do the string slots on the guitar and a soft or not sturdy seating of the nut can take it off when filing the slots.

So I cut to the chase (so to speak) so if the nut's going to come off, it will have to be cut in half and pieced out. Wink

moBOP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me with a 12 string guitar, so I guess I had double the panic! I queried forumites at 12 String Cafe (I'm a member), and what was recommended to me was rubber cement not CA glue. Though never stated, I think it was believed if you error with CA glue you'll have bigger hassles. In any case, it worked (keep in mind you have the tension of 12 strings to hold the bridge in place). I've experienced no problems since.

Now, keep in mind, I'm speaking about a 12 string acoustic guitar, not an archtop.
sevenflatfive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of different option/opinions, so here's mine!
I lay a strip of double sided tape on the base of the nut, peel off the backing then push it into place.
Easier to remove than super glue, but it'll hold the nut nicely in place.
Frets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I had an old Hofner President that dropped the nut whenever I restrung.

Was I ever happy when Blu-Tak was invented.

The strings hold the nut in place, and having it floating on Blu-Tak is one extra adjustment to get things just right. Although I should add that the neck was held onto the bout with a 5 inch, number 10 steel screw, passed through the fretboard, and a lick of White Glue. Tightening up the screw was another adjustment I had to make every week. Cool

Frets

You had a point Joe. So I just get a shed-load in the wrong place! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: