PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wherever I play my bass...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokron,

Enjoy. I have a performance of a Haydn symphony coming up in two weeks--just had a rehearsal with the orchestra today. It's great to keep a hand in on the bass (upright, in this case). As I've posted in other threads, playing bass has improved my guitar playing enormously. I love playing both upright and electric bass.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, greeentone! Classical and jazz!
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzerchick wrote:
Cool, greeentone! Classical and jazz!

It's just a sideline. I live adjacent to a college campus. I sit in with a college orchestra to keep a hand in. The conductor played with the New York Met for 27 years and is quite good--hears everything, so I've got to be on my game.

I enjoy the opportunity to read and to work on my arco playing. Jazz tends to use arco just on ballads on endings.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with an orchestra or big band sure helps keep the reading chops
up doesn't it. I play with a big band now for reading practice. I really have to work because most of the time there's no piano player.
I also used to play percussion in a community orch. That's fun too.

It's great that you get to work with a fine conductor.
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzerchick wrote:
Playing with an orchestra or big band sure helps keep the reading chops
up doesn't it. I play with a big band now for reading practice. I really have to work because most of the time there's no piano player.
I also used to play percussion in a community orch. That's fun too.

It's great that you get to work with a fine conductor.

Jazzerchick, You are really on target. I enjoy playing guitar or bass in pit groups for plays, and performing with the orchestra. It keeps the reading chops up. A big band gig would be a super musical outlet. Kudos.

My conductor is an incredible musician. (My wife is a conductor, too, so I'm around this stuff all the time.)
greentone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haydn Symphony went well today. The orchestra "peaked" today during final run through and at the public performance. That's the way you'd want things to go.

I did something I hadn't done in a long time--I switched today to a German bow. I had been having some difficulty opening with pianissimo passages in which my French bow was squeeking, due to the light touch. It's not a problem when going from a heavier to a lighter touch--just starting out from a dead stop. Switching to a German bow did the trick.

Usually, my French bow gives me greater control over soft passages, and I feel better moving back and forth between pizz and arco with it. Life's full of tradeoffs, though, and the German bow did the trick.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone, you must be a really good reader on bass. Are you a good reader on guitar also? I bet so.
greentone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzerchick wrote:
greentone, you must be a really good reader on bass. Are you a good reader on guitar also? I bet so.

You know, the funny thing is that I read bass all the time for bass parts in orchestra and pit band, and also for church choir (I sing bass). For guitar, I read when I take a part in a pit band that comes along. Reading is something you need to do often to keep up. I can read for piano.

I'd rate my reading skills for guitar to be my weakest skill. At my best, though, I'd rate my reading "okay." My wife is a great sight reader, and I'd defer to her skill. I get by, but she is super.
jokron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone wrote:
playing bass has improved my guitar playing enormously

Well, I picked up my guitar the other day, and bass playing seems to have improved my timing and sense of harmony and chord changes a lot!

I think I'll play both guitar and bass...just for the fun of it!!!

Very Happy

/Jokron

Miles Davis
Losov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chordspinner wrote:
Jokron: Good luck but you'll be back. I've done it many times and always come back to the guitar. There ain't nothin better!

Given the choice of guitar or bass, I'll always choose bass. However, it's tough to get those solo gigs with bass.
planetguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

played a bass gig last night and on break was visiting w someone who has only seen me play dobro and mandolin w my bluegrass band. he jokingly commented on me "slumming" by having to play bass. he was pretty suprised when i told him that if i could only play one instrument....it'd be bass.

i'm just glad i DON'T have to pick just one instrument!

seriously, i think it's a great double to have. makes you more employable but it can really help your playing in both camps.....i know my bass playing definitely informs my gtr playing and vice versa.
jokron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...shit!!!

...now I started to finger on my piano as well... Embarassed

...guess I'll never grow up...

/Jokron

Miles Davis
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Another Haydn Sympony Reply with quote

Hi,

I have another Haydn symphony coming up--next week--the "Farewell." One of my long-time colleagues, a professor of music, who also performs in the orchestra that I play in, is retiring. We are performing the Farewell Symphony--well, the last two movements--in his honor.

The last movement is subtractive--it has instruments dropping out at various points until one instrument is left on stage. In this case, it will be my colleague.

It's a fairly "frisky" piece on the bass. (some big intervals and sixteenth note passages that you'd swear that Rocco Prestia wrote, not Haydn--but which have to be performed with a bow) We've had lots of rehearsal time, so this should be fun.

I wish this school had a jazz big band.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone, sounds like that will be a memorable concert for all involved.

Let us know how it turns out.
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played Haydn today. It was a nice affair to be able to send off a colleague with a good piece of music that spotlighted him on the stage at the end.

I was tense, but made it through okay. The piece is about at the limit of my arco abilities, so it was a challenge. I had fun, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: