PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is "too soon"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MangoTango wrote:
Cheers M, sometimes you just gotta do these things. Even my Theory Teacher, who is one of the best musicians I've ever heard, has said that he's struggling to find gigs in these times of Crunchy Credit; so I'll take whatever I can get. It's just a chance to play and I need as many of those as I can get if I'm going to improve as a musician.

I totally meant it as a compliment, too, MT. Good on ya!
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MangoTango wrote:
JakeJew wrote:
Hehe just to clarify I really was NOT implying anything about your playing as I've never heard you play.

I WAS being serious in that I wonder how many people can really tell the difference between a guitarist that's been playing jazz for a year vs. one that's been playing for ten. shrug...

Thanks Jake, was only joking. Wink

As for your latter point......My guess would be that very few have the faintest idea and wouldn't appreciate the difference if it were served up to them on a silver salver.

Not joking there at all, sadly.

If you put two guitarists side by side and asked the average Joe (the plumber, if you will) to say what he thought, I'd imagine that Joe could tell us which one seemed more experienced or knowledgeable, but I bet which one he enjoyed more could go either way. in fact the average Joe might find the more advanced playing to be annoying, as many do.
voodobop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
MangoTango wrote:
JakeJew wrote:
Hehe just to clarify I really was NOT implying anything about your playing as I've never heard you play.

I WAS being serious in that I wonder how many people can really tell the difference between a guitarist that's been playing jazz for a year vs. one that's been playing for ten. shrug...

Thanks Jake, was only joking. Wink

As for your latter point......My guess would be that very few have the faintest idea and wouldn't appreciate the difference if it were served up to them on a silver salver.

Not joking there at all, sadly.

If you put two guitarists side by side and asked the average Joe (the plumber, if you will) to say what he thought, I'd imagine that Joe could tell us which one seemed more experienced or knowledgeable, but I bet which one he enjoyed more could go either way. in fact the average Joe might find the more advanced playing to be annoying, as many do.

Yeah, that is definately true. Infact, to take it a step further.. 5 or so years ago there was this one time me and a friend (who also plays jazz guitar) had a few girls over, I guess we were trying to impress them.. of course they were totally uninterested until I decided to play a few john mayer tunes or something they recognized. Later on they would always remark how great I was. This friend by the way is leaps and bounds better than I. In fact, at the time we played my friend was already a pro jazz guitarist and to them im not even sure their minds were processing music as they knew it, they knew of course that it was music.. but didn't get a music feeling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: