PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Jazz be saved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whirly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Can Jazz be saved? Reply with quote

Wall Street Journal article says Jazz audiences are getting older.

I guess we knew that.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204619004574320303103850572.html
patrik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the concerts i have attended lately (Rosenwinkel, Kreisberg, Ari Hoenig, Aaron Parks) have showed
a radical rejuvenation in the attending audiences. i am 40 years old and i have counted myself among the
oldest in the audience every time.
i think these musicians appeal to a younger audience much because they have found new ways to reach out.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saved...

Jazz doesn't need to be saved.

The majority of mainstream public ingores Jazz as it exists now and most publications, websites, magazines and public thought is that Jazz is a music that didn't make it out of the 60's and thus all Jazz fans are either socialite rich old people. So on and so forth, Jazz is dead, dying whatever.

Most people who are Jazz musicians of the current generation have no preconceptions about the fact that Jazz is not popular and it's extremely hard to pull off a career as strictly a performer and it is then accepted. But to suggest Jazz does not have a place in counter-culture to the mainstream is insane.

Jazz has not been popular in mainstream north american society since the early 1950's and it won't ever reach the heights it had during WWII. Jazz has become something else, and an option for people who don't want to deal with the dribble that comes out of mainstream culture and will continue to.

So yes people are getting older and people are dying. I wonder if there is an article about how Elvis fans are dying off ?

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course jazz is popular! Why else would there be university programs and masters programs that cost hundreds of thousands that teach people how to play jazz well enough so that those individuals can then teach at the university level to other people who, after their education can then teach at the....
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the % of people with B.Mus degrees in Jazz studies that go on to Graduate work, and then those who graduate that end up getting a job?

I count myself blessed.

lol

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RitaAguirre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree with that. As any other type of music, jazz isn't dying but metamrphosing into something new! It's mixed with other genges but still has those basic features that make us call it "jazz". For example, there's a popular band called Noisettes, they mix pop, rock, jazz and many other elements and I think they sound really nice.
Slartibartfast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RitaAguirre wrote:
I can't agree with that. As any other type of music, jazz isn't dying but metamrphosing into something new! It's mixed with other genges but still has those basic features that make us call it "jazz". For example, there's a popular band called Noisettes, they mix pop, rock, jazz and many other elements and I think they sound really nice.

Hi folks, drum roll for first proper post...

In the UK jazz is having a bit of a revival. It has morphed into new forms. Taking Jazz FM as an example, a lot of the content is really what five years ago would have been called soul or R n B. There is still straight ahead content but it is widening the audience. Pop chart music has some very jazz influenced songs. With standards and improvisation jazz groups are one of the most accessible ways into performing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: