PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how long on scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: how long on scales Reply with quote

I know that the answer to this question is "as long as it takes." However, if someone already knows the major scales vertically (across the neck) very well, how long should I expect to spend on learning the scales horizontally, up and down the neck? Just trying to get a sense of what's normal here before moving on to the next section of the course. Weeks? Months? Years?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is entirely up to you and how much value you find in it. In performance it will have value but not as much as other things. But knowing where you are is important, example is if you can go up/down the neck on a major scale not only on the first note (root), but the fifth, the second and complete the cycle. This will help you hear the starting interval and start hearing more phrasing. Certainly do the same thing across the neck. You should be able to pick up a major scale from five different positions/shapes if you can't already.

Hope it helps...

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a day, a lifetime, it is up to you, how important you think it is, how well you want to know it, and how capable you are of memorizing it.

I feel like I know the fretboard pretty well and I still hit a wrong note here or there, especially in keys like Db, Ab, or Gb up around the 11th to 13th fret. No big deal. It's a process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: