PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Periodicals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darylcd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Periodicals Reply with quote

Just a quick survey of favorite periodicals. While I find things I like in Vintage Guitar Magazine and even Guitar Player, I get tired of magazines primarily filled with tattooed grunge punks. And I have little interest in the opinion of guys that play 2 note chords and think you can only hit the strings on the downbeat. Granted some of these guys are amazingly fast but... so what? Don't get me wrong there are some real rockers with talent (Satriani, Johnson, etc.), but that's not what I'm after in a magazine.

Some of the jazz magazines are great but have a minor amount of information focused on the guitar or guitar players.

I like not only articles on technique but I like the detailed review on guitars and amps too, as long as it's not mostly Flying Vs connected to Krankenstiens. Don't get me wrong, I could have fun playing a Flying V connected to a full-stack Marshall but that's now where my interest is.

Just thought maybe some of you would know of some good ones to subscribe to that I was unaware of.

Thanks.

Daryl
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on guitar pub's entirely. Between the increasing prices, lousy content and 133 pages of ad's in a 142 page pub, enough! Rolling Eyes

Even fairly recently, Dan Erlewine started a column again in guitar player and I was looking forward to it but so far hasn't been worth the shelf price.

Thank goodness for the internet. Razz
Martacus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, I just culled my collection of Guitar Player (I had every issue from May 1974 to June 1990). I reduced to 2 binders of mags - I kept all the issues with the greats of jazz on the cover whole, and pulled out all the interesting articles and columns. It seemed to start nosediving around '84 or so - became a much 'slicker' mag, and then with the advent of far more affordable hair mousse, things got REALLY ugly. Very Happy I do have the collected issue they released in 1975, which had almost every jazz guitarist feature from issue one - if you can find it, get it. Hey, I'm gonna re-read that one now - Billy Bauer! Grant Green! (Oh - speaking of Billy Bauer, if anyone is into him, "The Plectrist" has been released as a limited edition CD, with the package designed like a LITTLE record album. Very cool, and some great playing.)
www.martypowerjazz.com
ourway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the best Mags. if you are intrests lie in Jazz Guitar is "Just Jazz Guitar" www.justjazzguitar.com It is cost $40.00 per year and is a quarterly but you get a lot of bang for the buck.
This Mag. usually has 1/2 dozen lessons and almost as many Chrord Solos. It also has a chord solo every quarter by Bob Conti who I think is one of your Favorite Players from what I have read. Plus numerous interviews.
If your looking for someone who smashes thier Guitar after every show this ain't he place to go. These guys are the real deal.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"guitar one" often has jazz transcriptions and lessons with big name guys. But there is a lot of junk, little bit of good stuff.
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the 12 Issue Downbeat mag subScription with the duke shirt for $30 for my bday. Just jazz guitar doesn't seem worth it, imo. maybe for 6 issues. but not just four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: