PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hearing, singing and playing altered sounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disco Volante

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Hearing, singing and playing altered sounds. Reply with quote

I have the PWYH course and find it really good for doing what it says on the tin, if you know what I mean. But I still find it really hard to hear and sing altered sounds over chords. I can hear, sing and play improvised major and minor lines pretty well but struggle getting those altered sounds into my musical conscious/subconscious.
I can obviously just play altered ideas from arpeggio shapes scales etc but not being able to 'hear' them really bugs me.

Anybody else finding this a problem?

Any good stratagies?

Last edited by Disco Volante on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest setting a midi pad (or any kind of loop) to sustain a bass note and just experimenting with singing some of these intervals simply against the bass note. When you get comfortable with that, add a third and a flat seventh to the pad/loop and try singing each tone against the chord.

Also, if you know any simple excerpts from solos (maybe just a measure or two) that use altered tones, try singing those lines - very slowly - while playing the chords.

It's helpful while singing this stuff to visualize where it is on the fretboard as well.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion Jake, I was going to suggest sitting down with a loop of 2-5 changes and play very short and simple phrases using those 'other' notes. Do it as well with a basic 12-bar blues. Keep it really simple stupid. The more you do it, the more it will stick in your head.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only do one alt note till you get it in your ears

ie don't think Alt scale at all (its leads to jazz cliches anyway)

just get the b9 in your ears first

Def get a looper if you havn't already
best practice aid ever
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe the problem is that you're trying to hear them over a static chord. What I mean is trying to hear an altered line over G7 can be difficult, but trying to hear a G7alt line leading to Cmin might make a little more sense. Especially when you consider that it's the same sound as Db7#11 leading to Cmin (the tri tone sub). When you get to the point that you can hear Db7 over G7, then those altered notes should make sense.

My other piece of advice is rather than working on an interval to interval basis like the others suggest (which is good) is to learn a couple licks that contain an altered note or two. Try and hear the line over the chord, rather than a scale or notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: