PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: New here Reply with quote

Hi,
Just writing to say hello.
My real name is Jose and I live in Spain.
I've been playing guitar for 20 years... well, I started to learn some chords then. After that some pentatonics and no much more since around 12 years ago when I started to play rockabilly in a band and have to learn the style and the songs and work harder to be able to play with them.
The band members wanted to do some swing and so I've been trying to learn a little more but basically I fake it with barre chords and simple arpegios over the changes (but at least I think I got the swing pulse right).
I bought the leavitt book 1 some years ago and been working on it very slowly and not too often.
I get to swing through the big bands, Django and some western swing,etc and to "cool jazz"? through Miles, Birth of the Cool that I used to listen over an over when a friend recomend it to me as an introduction to jazz. Then I went to Kind of Blue... fantastic. Some Barney Kessell...
Well, that's more than enough, I've been reading here for some months and now I want to learn more jazz and start playing it.

I plan on finishing my Leavitt, do a lot more listening and some transcription and maybe take the PWYH course.

Do you reccomend the Guitar Made Simple first ?

By the way, this is my band: http://myspace.com/misterwhiz. You can hear me "western swingin'" on our original "Come Back".

Thanks and hello everybody.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotty, Welcome. You and your band sound great.

I'm in Texas where rockabilly is pretty popular. I didn't know it was popular in Spain too.
I thought you might enjoy this band from here. They are very popular and do lots of touring too. The guitar player is really good.

http://www.twotons.com/?pg=home
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I won't say Rockabilly is very popular but there are a lot of good bands and great festivals, too. Just like surf, jazz and even rock and any non comercial music. (read X Factor or any TV show related music).
Still, Rockabilly has kept loyal followers in Europe, especially since the 70s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: