PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on emigrating to the US??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Advice on emigrating to the US?? Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice. I have met the love of my life via the internet and after making the journey several times out the to see her, we have decided that we want to spend our lives together and I want to move out here to be with her.

We intend to marry, but how easy would it be for me to be able to move out there to be with her? I also have existing family in another part of the US who are willing to sponsor me too.

Any thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely need to get a visa and marrage to a US citizen certainly helps the process. You'll need to find out what the US Embassy requires.

Beyond that, I'm way out of my league.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Bjorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived allmost 6 years in Brazil, and got married as well....
It wasn´t difficult at all to get a "greencard" or what you would call it, but some of my brazilian friends who has intended (SP) to do the same elsewhere, have had alot more problems.
So, I guess it has alot to do where you come from...
Confused
But, ckeck out the requirements at the ambessy, they will give you a more exact info than you would get on a jazz guitar forum I think Laughing
Good luck with your soulmate...
B
Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can travel to USA without problems - marry here, and apply for changing your status. You'll get "pink" greencard for 2 years, and if after 2 years your marriage will be still exist - you can apply for USA citizenship. If you'll marry her outside of USA - the process of bringing you to USA will take about 8-10 months. Also she can apply for K-1 visa, "fiancee visa", and you'll be allowed to come here for 90 days, and if you'll marry in 90 days - you'll stay here, and change status.
But "fiancee visa" require proofs, that you know her for at least 2 years - pictures together, letters, etc, etc, etc. Easiest way- come over to USA by B-1 toursist visa and marry here.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to see her later this year and plan to propose. I understand getting an immigration attorney will speed things up too.
StratmanUK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say WHERE you are coming FROM...?
My son moved from the UK to the USA and it took a YEAR of paperwork, interviews and investigations by the American embassy dudes, medicals at his own expense and bank account investigations etc etc before he got sanctioned properly to move over to the USA...
He'd married his American wife HERE in the UK some two years previously but that really counted for nothing much it seems tbh...

I also hear that immigration attornies don't necessarily speed things up but STILL cost big bucks anyway...?

I suugest you do a massive fact find befopre you do anything...speak to the Americam embassy FIRST to see what THEY require...Good luck anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: