PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumb injury affecting my entire arm-feedback appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peckerwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Thumb injury affecting my entire arm-feedback appreciated Reply with quote

about a month ago i was drinking with some friends and we decided to throw some gloves on and have some friendly fight sessions. i took out my first buddy quite quickly so his roommate who does boxing and MMA training took me on. i was up for about five minutes or so, and we all had a good enough time.

i woke up the next day with the sorest thumbs i've ever had. the gloves we were wearing weren't high-quality and i must have put an enormous amount of strain on my thumbs. anyways, the initial immobility lasted about a week, but they didn't ever get totally better. it's been somewhat steady progress with the pain aspect when i do certain things, but something like holding a barre chord on the lower frets still hurts. i figure that would go away with time of course, but really what's bothering me is my speed, dexterity, and endurance.

about a week ago i stopped babying my thumbs and started playing full-force again. but i've been getting exhausted by some very simple things-i've chalked it down to the movement in my ring and pinky fingers. somehow they have been affected by my thumb injury, but i don't get why- totally different tendons and different injuries...right? i don't know, i'm just getting frustrated at being completely worn out after a 20 minute chops session.

any advice besides "don't box people while drunk"? learned my lesson already.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet bad, doctor good. See a doctor if it persists. Even a small incident can cause long term problems. If it doesn't get better, don't chance it, see a doctor. Ideally somebody who specializes in musicians (they're out there!)
peckerwood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure. i practice mainly in classical position, and i've been taking it easy as of late. i don't have medical insurance but if it doesn't steadilly get better i will go have a talk with one.

thanks guys.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ring and little finger are bothering you, it might be that you stressed your elbow as in tennis elbow injury. These type injuries are very slow to
heal so give it time.
Follow Igiro's advice, then ice your elbow after playing. You could also try a carpal tunnel brace at night when you sleep. Those things work for me, but
time is needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: