PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luthier has jazz guitar design questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which body style do you prefer (on the list) for Jazz music?
Parlor
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
OOO
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
OM
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Drednought
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Slope Shouldered Drednought
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Small Jumbo
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Jumbo
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

gitrmkr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Luthier has jazz guitar design questions Reply with quote

I am new here and I know absolutely nothing about jazz guitars or artists but I humbly seek your input. I am a luthier and have been invited to exhibit my guitars at the Montreal Jazz fest in July of 2006. I primarily build flat top steel string acoustic guitars. I realize that jazz players may prefer archtops and electric guitars BUT if you would be attracted to Steel String acoustics what would you prefer in body styles and wood (back/sides and top) combinations?

FYI: I build the following body styles:
Parlor, OOO, OM, Small Jumbo, Drednought, Slope Drednought & Jumbo.

Thank you in advance
Kevin Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

In acoustic guitars, whether playing fingerstyle or plectrum, I've always preferred the body size of a guitar like the X14 (grand auditorium) style made by Taylor. I have 2 Taylor ac/elec., a 714CE/ES cedar/rosewood and a DDSM-LTD spruce/maple. They are both amazingly responsive instruments.

Congratulations on the Jazz de Montreal exhibit. Do you have a website? I would be interested to see your guitars.

Peace.
Kevin
Martacus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer archtops, 17" lower bout, but I love dreadnoughts. Wood would be maple back/sides, spruce or cedar top. (I have a red cedar top on my 7 string, and I love it.) I'm in Vermont, and I always try to make it up for the Jazz Fest - are you going to be in the display venue from this year? (I always forget the hotel, but there was an equipment con in the shopping area.) Let us know - I, for one, will DEFINITELY visit your display!
www.martypowerjazz.com
gitrmkr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome Kevin and Martacus. Yes I will be exhibiting at the Festival in July. Please stop by our table and introduce yourselves. I would love to eet you and have you test drive my guitars. Thanks for the input. We will see what transpires between now and then Wink
bob b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: guitar maker poll Reply with quote

Hi I built instuments for years, and when I started to design a jazz box I used a friends johnny smith {gibson] for cutaway shape f hole location,but I used the prairie state body shape as I was building those in a flat top it makes a nice archtop large 17" lower bout comfotable on the knee proabably the 000 is the closest there always seemed to be more tonal balence in the non dreadnaught shapes good luck Bob b
woodsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guitarmaker

What a great gig; the Montreal Jazz Fest! Congatulations.

The body style I prefer belongs to my Gibson ES175. I imagine it is about the size of a typical orchestra model, although I don't know that for sure.

I used to play classical music years ago and loved the feel and shape of those guitars.

There are so many jazz fiends with such different tastes. As for me, I haven't ever played a guitar with a better feel than my old Gibson. Maybe, you could check out the dimensions on their website.

In regard to wood, I prefer mahogany back and sides with a spruce top on acoustics. I love the warm sound of that combination.

Congratulations once again.

woodsy
________
Model U
________
girlfriends pics
________
BMW Headquarters history
________
Ford Taunus specifications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: