PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strap button es175

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: strap button es175 Reply with quote

I'd like to fit a strap button (anchor? knob?) to my es175.
It has one at the rear of the guitar and I'd like one where the neck joins the body at the back of the guitar.

Any advice on this would be great.

cheers
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking to do the same with my heritage but don't want to wreck it or devalue it...

perhaps get in touch with th company and see what they suggest...
JAWellcome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heritage's web site contains a link that shows their suggested placement for a front strap button. You may want to take a look. Here's the link:

http://www.heritageguitar.com/Strap%20Button%20location%20for%202nd%20Strap%20Button%20-%20JAZZ%20Thick%20Body.jpg

Good luck.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding an aftermarket strap button, especially where not factory installed will depreciate the guitars value.

Also, be careful in where you put this as these buttons are placed where they are for a reason...BALANCE.

Generally if placed too far up the neck (toward the body) it will make the guitar top heavy and the neck will fall down. And the reverse is true as well. And this is not including front/back balance..so be careful!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
johnp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one on my es-167 which is based on the 175. It took all of 2 minutes. I used to install them on Martins all the time so I felt comfortable doing it. You just need to find a bit that is not too small but will leave enough room for the screw threads to grab. Some lubricant like soap will help the wood from cracking when you screw it in. I put it right on the heal of the neck as that is most comfortable for me. I am sure there are many opinions about placement.

You need to be aware that if you exert too much force when screwing it in or donít drill deep enough you could crack the instrument which no warrantee will cover. You should proceed at your own risk. It would be very cheap and easy to have someone with experience do it at a reputable store/repair shop. Your best bet would be to find an authorized service center for Gibson and have them do it. You can find them on the Gibson site or call their 800 number.

I did call Gibson to make sure having it done would not void my warrantee if I installed it and they said as long as there was not any damage associated with it there would be no warrantee issues.

It is very easy to do but it is also could be a huge problem if you make a mistake.

Good Luck!
jlc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Nick Colione on bet studio jams, yesterday with his epi broadway, he used a strap from the normal back of the guitar tied to the headstock like Wes did. looked stable, comfortable, old school, try it before you drill.

peace
steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys - have emailed Gibson - waiting on reply.

jlc I think I will take your advice here.
kawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the LP style positions at last for the best standing playability.

Very easy,just use the screwdriver.
(Don't use the drill)

Last edited by kawa on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eddy B-flat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have placed my strap button at the back of the arm. Where the neck joins the body. If you want, I have a picture of a guitar where it is placed this way but I do not know how to upload it on this forum.
This is the link where I got the picture, scroll down and you'll get the right picture.
http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140327179638
This is very easy to do and it doesn't harm your guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: