PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

linear scale charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: linear scale charts Reply with quote

Are the linear scale charts on page 19 (and other places) meant to be memorized, or are they there just to give suggestions as to the many possible permutations of fingerings? Same question regarding the melodic patterns. Are all of these many charts that you've got simply to serve as examples?

The reason I ask is because a person could spend years going through every possible permutation for the scales, the melodic patterns, etc. That would certainly provide excellent knowledge of the fretboard, but little time for playing.

Just some practice guidance please. Thanks.

Larry
kylesmithguitar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the important part is figuring out different ways to put the five scale shapes together over the fretboard, with playing some stuff on single strings along the way. I usually break my routine up by doing some stuff on single strings, some stuff with the shapes in position, and try to find one or two ways to get up and down the fretboard over the full range of the instrument. Narrowing down the keys you practice is helpful. I think you will find that it helps your playing other keys, even when you are not focusing on them specifically. I do a key a month, and really explore the key. It's kind of strange to get used to, but it really will help. This will also give you more time to play other things. Choosing a key a week, or even a different key every day have been options that were helpful for students of mine. The same process can help with melodic patterns. Just do one or two a day/week/month/whatever. Everything in music is cumulative, so it will all help. Give this a try, hopefully it will help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: