PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is something happening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: is something happening? Reply with quote

OK. I'm back at this now. Didn't want to really start it until I felt i was ready. So I am practicing the one line scales. Difficult to find a consistent fingering, but perhaps that is what this is about....That is, to go with the sound rather than rote fingerings. Still, even though I feel I know the scale positions very well, when I play these on 1 string at a time, I stumble quite a bit. And they don't come as easy as the positions. So, my question is, even though i am spending quite a bit of time on one string and not really feeling it's doing anything for me musically, is some sort of transformation supposed to be occuring as I struggle through the one line scale exercises?
kylesmithguitar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by practicing scales on a single string, you are developing your ears a lot. Don't worry about finding consistent fingerings. The important thing is to keep at it, and recognize what scale degree you are on at all times. Singing the numbers (1-7) or solfege (do re mi, etc.) will be helpful at this. Don't worry. your ears are getting better every time you work on this exercise. Just get to mixing the single string scales with the scale positions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: