PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Access The Electronics Inside An Archtop Guitar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: How Do You Access The Electronics Inside An Archtop Guitar? Reply with quote

Need to get inside an archtop to chenge electronics and not sure how to do it. An unusual thing happened to one of my less expensive archtop guitars and I'd like to make it a project to fix it myself.

Anyway all of a sudden the sound that comes out through this guitar when amplified is really ultra bright and thin sounding and it used to sound good. All my other guitars still sound great but suddenly this one sounds real thin all of a sudden when amplified. So it must be something with the electronics inside like a pot or maybe a capacitor that went bad, any ideas?

Like I said I would like to make a little project out of fixing this guitar. I;m pretty good wsith a soldering iron just don't know how to get to the stuff. Anybody know how to go about getting to the electronics inside or pulling them out?

Last edited by Jazz Playa on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, how about for starters, just 11 topics down: http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4766
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Sobriquet wrote:
Um, how about for starters, just 11 topics down: http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4766

Thanks that's good Info.

So now I'm wondering what could be the most likely cause for that to happen. The resistor gone bad/value drifted inside a pot or the tone cap gone bad? I'm going to find some quality pots and replace everything while I'm in there sans the wire's. Still curious what the most likely cause would be?

I still get bass response coming through but it sounds really boomy on the lows all of a sudden and the highs are really shrill. The pots still "appear" to work in that they roll of treble and volume but everything just got really shrill on one end and boomy on the other. Never had anything like that happen before. My other guitars sound fine. What could cause that? I'm thinking something with the tone pot most likely? Mad Does that sound like a good place to start?
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just a wire off
should be obvious once you get the loom out .......

a good tip I heard is to tie lengths of dental floss round the 4 pot shafts
and jack socket , before removal. to help you on reassemble the loom
into the guit.

Note I haven't done this job
one thing I'm not sure of is the earth lead connection to the bridge/tailpiece
but when you do find it , securely tie a piece of floss to that too
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower wrote:
Probably just a wire off
should be obvious once you get the loom out .......

a good tip I heard is to tie lengths of dental floss round the 4 pot shafts
and jack socket , before removal. to help you on reassemble the loom
into the guit.

Note I haven't done this job
one thing I'm not sure of is the earth lead connection to the bridge/tailpiece
but when you do find it , securely tie a piece of floss to that too

Well a couple years ago I was playing it a lot jamming with a group. During that time the screw on the jack kept getting loose and I was constantly re-tightening it. Maybe that constant re-tightening caused some twisting inside and there could be a loose connection now? Maybe? I'll start looking in there this weekend.

Is there usually enough slack so that I can pull out the jack through the f-hole without pulling out anything else?
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that twisting socket probably caused the problem

I don't reckon you'll get access to the jack socket
that way (worth a try though)

don't forget to floss tho ! or you'll have a devil of a job
getting it back in place

have fun !
randyc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hint for those that notice that the nut securing the output jack is loosening. Buy a taper reamer (hardware store, Sears, just about any tool supplier). Insert the reamer into the jack aperture, apply firm pressure and then tighten the nut with open-end wrench ("box" wrench even better). (If the jack seems to be slipping, apply more axial pressure on the reamer.) Cost of reamer ~ couple of dollars U.S.

cheers,
randyc

edited to add "nut"
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going in this weekend. I'm gonna try string instead of rubber bands so I wont have to hassle with tying them all together.
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, thanks for posting that link GS it was helpful.
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good news, I replaced the Pot's and Cap's with CTS and Orange Drop's and everything is back to normal. Actually sounds a bit better than it did before which is good. Wasn't hard to do at all, though I did lengthen the leads a little bit to make the whole re-soldering process easier.

I think using string instead of rubber bands saved me a lot of time and worked great.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the fault ?
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't even bother to test the pots and cap I removed. I was so happy that the guitar was sounding good again I just played it for a while and chucked the parts I had taken out. Most likely it was a pot that had gone screwy because capacitors in a guitar so rarely ever malfunction. Also pots have moving parts in them which makes them more prone to malfunction. Unfortunately even some big name brand guitar makers use cheaply made pots in their otherwise well made instruments. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: