PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can you recommend excercises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tombolino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: can you recommend excercises? Reply with quote

Guys

Im in a mental block again on what to practice for technique that teaches my fingers intervalic and melodic versatility on the fretboard (besides licks and tunes)

I welcome any suggestions of excercises you can recommend, ideally findable online or youtube.

Im wondering if perhaps I should focus on classical type sequences and arps?

Look at this with Pat Metheny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpR8421Ujg8
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so we have scales and arrpeggios, right? Ever practice those in intervals?

C major scale:

C D E F G A B

so, in 3rds

C E D F E G F A G B C etc...

on the neck:

1)
2)
3)
4)--------------------------7-------9--7--10-etc...
5)--7-----8--7--10--8--------10
6)8---10

Try both ascending and descending. Then try 4ths:

1)
2)
3)-------------------------------------------7-etc...
4)-----------------7-------9-------10--7
5)--8-----10--7-------8------10
6)8---10

Here's another (not sure what to call it):

1)
2)
3)
4)-------------------------------------7------------7-9-etc...
5)-------7-8-------7-8-10-7-8-10-------8-10
6)8-10--------10-

3rds work really well over major harmony, 4ths well over minor, but try each over both. You can keep going with these intervals too- 5ths aren't that great but 6th, 7ths, and 9ths are interesting.

With 3rds you're basically skipping a note. With 4ths, two notes. You can do the same with arpeggios:

1)------------------------------------------------------7-etc...
2)----------------------------------------8
3)-----------------------------9---------------9
4)-----------9------10-9--------10
5)---10--7-----10
6)8

Metheny is doing scales in 3rds early on. Then various patterns while changing the harmony. Changes sound like Color My World. Huh?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: can you recommend excercises? Reply with quote

Tombolino wrote:
Guys

Im in a mental block again on what to practice for technique that teaches my fingers intervalic and melodic versatility on the fretboard (besides licks and tunes)

I welcome any suggestions of excercises you can recommend, ideally findable online or youtube.

Im wondering if perhaps I should focus on classical type sequences and arps?

Look at this with Pat Metheny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpR8421Ujg8

I've recorded a video on this exact subject! I'll let you know when I post it
Tombolino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks!

The idea behind my questions, when not playing an actual song, I would like to musically be able to "meander" with scales and arps. I find that music can be made like this....sort of like old classical studies back in the day....
Jazzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some books that I have ( and really recommend ):

Kreutzer - 42 Studies or Caprices: Violin Method

Franz Wohlfahrt - 60 Studies, Op. 45 Complete: Books 1 and 2 for Violin

Complete Suites for Unaccompanied Cello and Sonatas for Viola Da Gamba (bach)

Mel Bay Bach: Three Sonatas & Three Partitas for Solo Violin, Bwv 1001-1006

The two first is excellent for finding new excercises and practising sight reading. You can get all of them from amazon.
M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey decibel wrote:
... Changes sound like Color My World. Huh?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks to me like he's practicing those scale exercises in every octave. A little while back some guys on this forum were giving me flack about me saying you should learn that stuff in all octaves all over the neck. Anyway that's what I do. Sure looks to me like that's what he's doing too. He obviously has equal facility no matter where he's playing on the neck.
When I listen to guys like Benson and Metheny its obvious that's the way they know their instruments.

Here's another one with some more sic playing on it where he's using the same kind of exercises. The first minute is just talking in some other language, so fast forward that part (unless of course you speak that language Smile )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcETmST9BoY&feature=related
M

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good YouTube vid' of the late Michael Brecker talking about practicing (sorry, I didn't go find it for you) in which he talks about practicing ideas in all keys throughout the range of his instrument. Essentially, my take-away was: If you call yourself a musician, then part of your job is to be technically proficient on your chosen instrument. That means, all keys, throughout it's range.

That should be one of our aspirations, I think.

Jazz Playa mentioned Metheny. Pat has stated that a guitarist, for example, should be able to pick an isolated range on the instrument (say the first 5 frets on the lowest two strings) and play a complete solo within those confines.

The idea is not that you'd want to limit yourself like that for a live performance, but that you know your instrument so well that you can "see" the relevant notes from all the key centers and chord tones at any isolated spot on the fretboard.

Mastery of your instrument is the underlying thread in both Brecker and Metheny's messages.
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the great stuff that Dewey stated, here's a John Scofield video where he explains similar stuff. Not an exercise per se, but you can come up with plenty yourself using an mode/interval approach as discribed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_hdsf32Pvo

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: