PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

acoustics and mickey baker course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: acoustics and mickey baker course Reply with quote

I just purchased Mickey Baker's jazz guitar book, volume 1. Am I being unrealistic in trying to use an acoustic to learn this material? Or is this geared primarily for an electric guitar? I really dig the sound of acoustic jazz, but I don't want to tackle something that may not be reasonable or may be overly ambitious.
voodobop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would that make a difference?
LarryB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodobop wrote:
why would that make a difference?

I guess that's what I'm asking. Are the physical demands of an acoustic an obstacle? But, I'm hearing you say that it doesn't matter.
voodobop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some techniques that are definately more difficult on an acoustic. Sweeping and some fast legato stuff is not as easy. But Jazz should be able to be played on an acoustic guitar, which I do. Good chance that it will help you to develop your own style. The Bass is acoustic, the drums are acoustic the piano is acoustic. I think that there is no reason that the guitar role in jazz cant have a more natural acoustic sound, really its just a norm that people adhere to. You can amplify an acoustic guitar like everything else, the problem comes when volumes increase.
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the problem comes when volumes increase.

Deed it do
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
I dont know what sort of experience you have, but the Mickey Baker book has some misprints in terms of chord names and assumes that you either have enormous hands or great more flexibility than most people. There are some horrendous grips stretching over 5 frets at the wrong end of the fret board e.g. FM7. There are easier ways to play M7 chords.

I am thinking of this book http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:zOTFLe4g9YcTbM:http://www.musicroom.fr/Images/Catalogue/fullsize/AS10424.jpg

very discouraging.
LarryB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
if you are holding out until you can purchase an electric (like i did as a teenager), just put some light steel strings on it.

I have both a high end acoustic and electric. I just wanted to go down the chord melody path on acoustic since that is what I'm gravitating to more and more, for a variety of reasons. And I have found it so much easier (poor choice of words, I know) to learn something first on acoustic and then go to electric, then the other way around.
LarryB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Larry,
I dont know what sort of experience you have, but the Mickey Baker book has some misprints in terms of chord names and assumes that you either have enormous hands or great more flexibility than most people. There are some horrendous grips stretching over 5 frets at the wrong end of the fret board e.g. FM7. There are easier ways to play M7 chords.

I am thinking of this book http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:zOTFLe4g9YcTbM:http://www.musicroom.fr/Images/Catalogue/fullsize/AS10424.jpg

very discouraging.

Thanks Viper. Yeah, I hear you on the chord stretches. I understand theory well enough to figure out if the chords are misnamed. Though, it is difficult in some places because sometimes he leaves the root out. Interestingly, in Lesson 1, on the first day I thought "no way" i can reach some of these chords. But by the end of the second day, I could actually play them. But, tough, especially on an acoustic.
wolflen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always surprised at how many people start learning jazz chords from baker...(of Mickey & sylvia..50's hit...love is strange..)

i started with a nylon acustic..yeah the chords were a bitch to get...but our hands do stretch...and with practice...i glad i put the time & effort in

key to his method...as with any...do the exercises in ALL keys

his single note exercises will open up the avenues for future solo work and you will understand how the upper partials of chords are used in harmonic & melodic methods...

his tag line...when you have finished the book...start over ... its a very nice surprise...
:D :D
play well
gadabout

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Larry,

very discouraging.

Sorry for the late post. Like many, I first learned jazz chords through the Mickey Baker book. I was only about 14 or so at the time so the chords couldn't have been too difficult a stretch. The FM7 at the first position is a little bit of a stretch but not really too bad, and fairly easy once you go up the neck a little. There are far more difficult stretches than that. As far as misprints go, I can only think of one incorrectly named chord. It's on the first page of the book. I think it's listed as a Cmaj9 but is really a C 6/9, if I remember correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: