PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blues and Maj Pents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tombolino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Blues and Maj Pents Reply with quote

Hi

Question....

I know the typical different patterns for blues scale. I try when I practice to shift between them and down the neck. Any further steps to make it more fluid?

Also, I get pretty confused switching between blues and major pent on the same root when playing a blues. Any suggests?

thank you Smile
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Blues and Maj Pents Reply with quote

Tombolino wrote:
Hi

Question....

I know the typical different patterns for blues scale. I try when I practice to shift between them and down the neck. Any further steps to make it more fluid?

Also, I get pretty confused switching between blues and major pent on the same root when playing a blues. Any suggests?

thank you Smile

Could you make your question more specific, please?
Tung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ffar as fingerings, it's really helpful to improvise in jazz to work out 3-note per string and fingerings like Frank Gambale's sweep patterns. He organized pentatonics to accomadate logical sweep picking directions. These type of fingerings will get you thinking out of the box positions and connect the various fretboard points easier.
lex_robben

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As ffar as fingerings, it's really helpful to improvise in jazz to work out 3-note per string and fingerings like Frank Gambale's sweep patterns.

The 3 note per string philosophy has also helped me loads as well.

In terms of mastering the switch between minor and major pentatonics, the thing which I did was to take one particular position of the minor pentatonic and improvise over a backing track using just that position. I would then also improvise uising the corresponding major pentatonic scale and weaving in and out between minor and major, again still remaining in the same position of the fretboard. You should do the same for all five positions until you recognise where all the "major" notes are in a given position. Not sure if I'm making it clear!
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for blues playing, i sort of envision the whole thing as a pool of notes to draw from that includes the major and minor pentatonics as well as the dominant scales based on the I, IV, and V (mixolydian)

I try not to think too "scalar"--more focusing on hitting important notes over the chords (for example, the m3 bent up to the M3 over the I, 3rds and 7ths in general on everything) and crafting melody as opposed to worrying about linking scales. Seems to lead to more singable lines, which is what the blues is about anyway. There are melodic devices that DO work, like playing major pentatonic over the I, and playing minor pentatonic (from the I) over the IV.

If you need to view it from a scalar aspect, why not try writing out the different scales and seeing what notes they have in common, what are different, and how you could approach the next scale either diatonically or chromatically to keep things "flowing."

Blues may be from the gut, but there's no reason you can't have a roadmap to work with...
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: