PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metheney type effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynnphillips

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Metheney type effects Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice and opinions on effects. I love my boogie, for everything, maybe not the best jazz amp but so tonefull I'll make it work. I love the effect metheney gets from his multi amp set up and have got a setup whereby I use the boogie straight with no effects but take a line out from it to an old ART SGE, then to a power amp and out to a stereo 2x12. this means I get the unadulterated sound of the boogie but with the a subtle stereo chorus / delay through the other cab. My problem is the ART SGE, it sucks all the tone out of the signal and what should be shimmering and sparkling is dull as ditchwater. Can anyone suggest a multieffect rack unit they have tried which has great sound quality? I don't want loads of effects, chorus, delay and reverb will do but sound quality is the thing.

Thanks for looking
Wynn
Tung

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Metheny's multi amp set up as well.
I usually run 2 amps in a wet/dry configuration.
Had a lot of success with the TC Electronic GMajor, it's very affordable and the quality of the effects are top notch. What I really dig about it is it doesn't "tone suck", you're still hearing the original amp sound but with the effects coloring it, but in a good way. Of course, you have to go in there and work with the parameters until you get something workable. I find almost all the factory presets are useless.
Good luck.
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the TC will get the job done if Metheny type effects are what you're after. Although you can get close to that type of sound in mono going stereo will enhance the spaciousness of the sound. Technically his reverb is not part of his rig although he uses varying amounts of it depending upon the tune. His reverb came from a Lexicon PCM unit connected to his channels on the house mixer. He would fine tune the settings at each gig with the his soundman during soundcheck to adjust for the dryness or "echoyness" of different venues. More recently he's switched to some high-end software based reverb program that's still out in the house mixer. Of course it will still work as part of your guitar rig you just have to adjust the reverb amount yourself. Wink
Tung

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz Playa wrote:
Sure the TC will get the job done if Metheny type effects are what you're after. Although you can get close to that type of sound in mono going stereo will enhance the spaciousness of the sound. Technically his reverb is not part of his rig although he uses varying amounts of it depending upon the tune. His reverb came from a Lexicon PCM unit connected to his channels on the house mixer. He would fine tune the settings at each gig with the his soundman during soundcheck to adjust for the dryness or "echoyness" of different venues. Wink

Good point. Metheny's tone sounds simple but how it's routed is actually complex. I remember seeing Metheny in a large club, the soundman was actually a rock guy, he's not familiar with setting jazz at all. the sound was just dreadful, especially Pat's tone through the house PA, it was washed in reverb most of the time. Pat played great as usual, just bad sound.
hobersmith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metheny's amps may be harder to set but once you get it right you find heaven. Very Happy
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobersmith wrote:
Metheny's amps may be harder to set but once you get it right you find heaven. Very Happy

What does that mean?

Jens
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens wrote:
hobersmith wrote:

What does that mean?

Jens

"Click on my website link."
wynnphillips

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi well I couldn't afford the TC G major, but I've just ordered a tc m300 which has the basics covered so hopefully I'll enter the Metheny "heaven" anyday now. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.
wynnphillips

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the TC M300, and in a moment of ebay madness I also got an old Yamaha Fx500 for 25. Bizarrely for my purposes the Yamaha sounds better. Just to recap I'm taking the direct out of the Boogie (DI in effect ) to the Yamaha fx500 and from there to astereo power amp and on to a stereo 2x12. The sound is really good, full and warm with lots of ambience but the original clean signal is not messed up by the effects just supported and enhanced. Don't know if it's really Methenyish but it's a lovely big jazz sound to my ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: