PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Only Tension and Release notes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Marco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Only Tension and Release notes? Reply with quote

So, lets say something as normal as a G7 is the chord of the moment for one bar.. lets say as the middle of a 2 5 1.

As far as I understand the 4 chord tones are release notes.

Are all the other 8 notes...chromatic and related scale tones all Tension notes? Are some more tense.

The reason I'm asking is I did some harmonic analysis of some examples in a jazz book and I noticed something the book wasnt explaining, that the lines (simple 8 notes per bar) seemed to go Tension, Release, T, R, T, R...
If you considered scale tones as Release, and everything else Tension.

I wondered about notes like the 4th of the chords root, in the case of this G7...the C... would you consider it a Suspense note? Not necessarily a Chord tone.. a scale tone, but not necessarily as tense as a tension note?
Or is it better to keep things as simple as just tension or release..

Thanks..
New Marco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
consonant and dissonant are the theoretical terms ascribed to notes of a chord, or notes played at the same time a chord being played - which are not part of the chord.

i think that you would benefit from some traditional theory training. then study jazz theory and harmony to understand and appreciate the different stylistic practices.

see Benward and Saker's Volume 1, eighth edition, at Amazon.com

Thanks Irgo.
I hear what your saying. Through my attempts to undstand Jazz, I realize I've run too far into the forest too fast.

I've recently realized I need to understand the basic's of improvisation. THEN start to think about jazzing it up.

Thats why Jazz has been such a struggle to me. and So I'm essentially asking questions here, that I should be asking on a more general theory based message board, with the topic being soloing over chords and chord changes.

I appologize for being such a newbie here. I'll be seeking more appropriate places for these questions.. and maybe trying some books too...

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I see that consonant and dissonant are the correct terminology.

Maybe you can answer this ...Am I wrong for thinking in terms of making music by modulating tension and release? (or Resolve)..

Here's some of what I'm thinking after the latest woodshed...
1. A root note or Natural 5th (or whatever 5th the chord of the moment is using) acts as complete release.
Your 'safest' and most vanilla tones over a chord.

2. The 3rd and 7th's being the next safest bets. Good for use in any direction traveling to and from tension/release. can be used as release to complete a line. Especially if they are only a tone away from something your going to use over the next chord.

3. The some of the remaining scale tones 2/9 6/13 can be used to create the sound of chord extensions, or to reinforce existing extensions.
If creating the extensions they could be used as full tension. If reinforcing the sound they could be used more as a traveling tone on the way to resolve.

4. Not sure if there's anything special about the 4th/11. Other than since the fourth creates a suspended chord, could this tone be considered a suspense note? carrying this listener onto either tension or release?

5. Real bonified tension notes...playing a sharp 5th over a chord with a natural 5th..
(Any other's here I don't know about??) hit one of these then step back to sweet release for a few beats.

6. the last remaining 4 tones or so that are not part of the chord of the moment and any related scale of the moment are chromatic in nature and would mostly be useful as passing notes to fill in a step needed to get a release tone right on the beat you want it on.

I suppose I need to try this and see for myself...
planetguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, lets say something as normal as a G7 is the chord of the moment for one bar.. lets say as the middle of a 2 5 1.

well, as i understand the way you've phrased that....all those 4 chord tones of a G7 would be "tension notes" resolving TO any nearby chord tone of your C (home key) chord.

i.e. that B from the G7 moving to the root C = tension + release
the D from the G7 moving to the E (3rd) or C (root)=tension and release

etc.
New Marco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetguy wrote:
Quote:

well, as i understand the way you've phrased that....all those 4 chord tones of a G7 would be "tension notes" resolving TO any nearby chord tone of your C (home key) chord.

i.e. that B from the G7 moving to the root C = tension + release
the D from the G7 moving to the E (3rd) or C (root)=tension and release

etc.

Does this happen at the end, when things shift into the C chord, or during the sprinkle of 8th notes during the G7?
Or is it optional / up to me the player?

Just today I read and understood a new page in my jazz solo's book, describing the chord and scale tones as Natural Tension, and flatting or sharping the 5th or the 9th gives Altered tension to be used over a moving (or functional) 7th chord.
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this happen at the end, when things shift into the C chord, or during the sprinkle of 8th notes during the G7?
Or is it optional / up to me the player?"

YES ! Laughing

the application/definition i was referring to....pertains to resolution.

you set up a tension .....why?...so you can (usually) resolve it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: