PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strat pickup replacement - Maybe I'm crazy but humour me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleSB.asp

these are a fairly new introduction by Lindy Fralin and I'd say they fit your bill perfectly. no pole pieces to adjust, a humbucking model that fits into a strat slot and quiet operation. and I've never heard a Fralin pickup that didn't sound superb. I have purchased strat pickups and humbuckers from him and have never been disappointed. Cool
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SB, those fralins look cool. My friend/amp-tech recommended these: http://www.joebarden.com/main.php?section=Products&pageID=S-Deluxe which also look cool. Here they are on a tele: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LndRj_XqgA I wouldn't mind having tone like that...

I'm thinking more and more about taking the plunge, but I have some practical concerns.

Before I spend any money or do any mods I want to make sure that I'm actually correct in that the string volume is uneven on my guitar, and that it's not just my own inconsistency. Any ideas on how to test this? I did a little bit of recording myself on different guitars to see if I could hear the difference, it was hard to find it tangibly(even looking at the waveforms), even though I was just playing scales. I shouldn't rule out the possibility that it might just be my playing...

I also was wondering if there was a chance that other factors besides the PU may be affecting the unevenness that I've noticed. It is a strat after all, and it's made for the average blues/rocker, and I'm trying to make it sound like a steinway.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably spent more time trying to get evenness of tone and accurate intonation and other assorted performance issues sorted out on strats than any other sort of guitar. it's always surprising to me that they're the most popular design in the world. I mean, I do like a lot of things about them, but I wouldn't say it's the most versatile solidbody style. and they do seem to require constant tweaking. string tension vs. the tremolo springs, saddle height vs. truss rod/relief, nut friction vs. tremolo movement, etc. etc. etc. in fact, the one of mine (I currently have four) that does the best "jazz" tone is due for another visit to the slab this weekend. I swear I'm gonna get it right this time...(but whom am I kidding?)... Cool
Killer Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Go for humbuckers or a Tele Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:

Before I spend any money or do any mods I want to make sure that I'm actually correct in that the string volume is uneven on my guitar, and that it's not just my own inconsistency. Any ideas on how to test this?

Hi,

IMHO Strats with singlecoils sound uneven and that's part of the Strat-Vintage-Sound and it can be very charming. Just listen to SRV playing Lenny. But with jazz I wouldn't use a Strat with singlecoils.
And I've never heard a convining humbucker sound out of a singlecoil-sized humbucker. A couple of month ago I've been to a gig by "Steve Gadd and friends" where Paul Bollenback played a Strat with a regular humbucker in the neck-position over a Fender Twin and he had a great jazz sound.

So, if you want an even singlecoil-sound from a solid body, I would recommend trading your Strat for a Tele. I play my Tele (ash body, rosewood neck, Florance Voodoo 50s pickups) alot at sessions, where I don't want to risk the live of my more expensive guitars and it sounds great. Teles sound very even. The trick for a jazzier sound is not to roll back the tone knob, rolling the volume knob back sounds much more convining. Compensate with a linear booster pedal, if you need more volume from the guitar.

When you decide to put humbuckers into your Strat, I would recommend a Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck-position. This is a great and affordable allround pickup that sounds very transperent.

Cheers, Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: