PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert Conti's method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon1980

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Robert Conti's method Reply with quote

I was just wondering whether anyone has tried this, his way of teaching seems quite different from anything else on the market, i.e. teaching full solos note for note? Seems like a weird way to learn but he must get lots of happy customers.
kylesmithguitar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a couple of his source code books. It is a useful way to get something that works under your fingers, and all it requires is practice. I don't really agree with his dogma, however, that you don't need any theory. I would recommend the source code books, just take some of his opinions with a little grain of salt, and try some things for yourself. (especially with his pick recommendations in the precision technique book). Hope this helps...
wkriski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Robert Conti Reply with quote

Robert Conti's materials are amazing in many ways but I have found a few issues. Just to be clear his material falls into two categories. One is, "Play this stuff I show you, get it under your fingers." This is really valuable as many people tend to read and analyze but can't play a song or solo from beginning to end. At the end of the day we all want to play songs and improvise but we take many paths to get there.

Stage two is "Here's how it works". He has a Source Code series which explains how he sees things. There's actually some theory here, especially in The Formula which explains how to reharmonize songs. But he has a great no-nonsense approach.

Having said that, for the chord melodies which sound great, there are a few too many chords for me, although he says you can remove ones and just play the melody it's not always clear on how to do that. And his arrangements are highly reharmonized with a ton of chords.

I've developed some really basic chord melodies that use standard jazz chords that I think is well suited for beginners and anyone who knows some jazz chords but haven't been able to put them to good use in solo jazz guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: