PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats going on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokron, my thoughts are with you today.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still lurk....just haven't had much to say.

My best wishes to everybody here, though.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
jokron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
Jokron, my thoughts are with you today.

Thanks...

Keep fighting - every day is worth it!

/Jokron

Miles Davis
jokron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts, mates...

My father was a fiddler and played swedish and finnish folk songs. Some of his last words was: "I want my son to have the violin when I'm gone".

So, who knows, maybe I'll play his violin by time...or maybe there's too much sad feelings around it...

/Jokron

Miles Davis
cjm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokron, the sharpness of grief will ease. The violin was obviously important to your father and so too, were you.

The violin, whether or not you ever get to the point of being able to play a simple tune on it, can serve to connect you to your father, and in a good way, after the initial pain passes.

After my parents died, there were two possessions passed on to me that for a variety of reasons help connect me to them every time I see or touch them. One was my mother's piano. An inexpensive spinet -- and I'm not a pianist -- but sometimes I sit down to it and play through a ballad. And when one of my brothers decided to open a small club where we could control the music, it was/is fantastic to have her piano on the bandstand even though most nights there is no piano player. I can't really explain it.

The other possession I treasure is from my father. I suppose oddly enough, except for where and when I grew up in the backwoods of Idaho in a family of ranchers and big game hunting outfitters, it's a pistol. I never fire it; I began to dislike hunting and shooting long before middle age, and; a misspent youth with firearms probably explains more of my tinnitus than the cancer treating drugs I'm on. But it is there, stored away and only occasionally taken out to hold as a symbol of the man I rode behind on the saddle skirts as a small child.

Hang in there. Happiness has a way of creeping up on you when you least expect it.
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randalljazz wrote:
deepest sympathy in your hour of loss, jokron. the days of our lives flee away as a breath of wind...

Thanks...

Well, the funeral is over, I sang two songs, one that I composed myself to honour my father called "You gave me the music". My sisters daughter played some tunes that she and my father used to play together. It feels good to se the music walking through generations.

My fathers violin and an accordeon is now in my musicroom, waiting to be played on. His record collection and some old tapes is waiting to be sorted up. I have seen some original EP:s with Glenn Miller and Svend Asmundsen, a jazz violinist and some swedish artists from the 50s and 60s among them but haven't really digged deeper into the collection yet.

I have also started some genealogy research to trace my musical heritage. Seems as a fiddler, my grandmothers brother Leander Englund was in Michigan about a hundred years ago and a brother to my great great grandfather was a very good singer. This passion or music must come from my fathers relatives although I know that my mothers relatives were singers in the Salvation army in the first half of the recent century...

My brother recorded my father playing in the hospital just two days before he died, he really loved playing that violin...

Well, life goes on, I'll continue to play my wonderful guitar, but will also try both the accordeon and the violing by time, I'm sure of that, feels like an obligation to pass the tradition further on...

later

Jokron

Miles Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: