PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/4 - any tips on hearing "fours" and "eights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: 3/4 - any tips on hearing "fours" and "eights Reply with quote

So in 3/4, four dotted eighth notes fit evenly inside the measure. Ok, feeling dotted eighths isn't so hard, it's basically feeling four groups of three sixteenth notes.

But eight even notes inside a measure of 3/4 could be written as dotted sixteenths, but they'd usually just be written as eighth notes or sixteenth notes with an "8" written on top of them, like they were octuplets or something.

Anybody have a good method for internalizing this subdivision without losing tempo? "fours" are okay for me but I don't feel confident that I'm really locking in the tempo. With these "eights" I'm just guessing.

My method has been to think of the dotted sixteenth, but at most tempos I can't hear a group of three thirty-second notes that clearly.

I'm thinking there has to be a more direct way of hearing this.

Along the same train of thought, any tips for playing even groups of five or seven within a beat or within a half note? Not something I've really dug into and I'm unsure of a good method for tackling the problem.

Thanks!
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the tempo of the 3/4, but I mostly use this in tempi where I can feel the 3/4 bar as a single beat. That way it's like changing subdivision from 3 to 4 or 8. So feel the bar as one beat and try to have a very strong feel for that (should not give you to much trouble I think Smile )

When I was working on this (not that I actually feel done with it...) I used to do it as a sort of stepwise process so first 2 over 3 then 4 over 3 then 8 over 3. That works well and I feel pretty confident in switching back and forth. That works well for me. Make sure to pick easy tempos not too fast but also not too slow.

I did not do to much with 5's and 7's, but essentially it is the same. Though I only tried it with the 5's a bit. I often practice scales and diatonic arps etc. in five subdivision that helps a lot for playing 5 over 1 or 2 and might give you a new way of looking at your diatonic triads and arps since they all become cross rhythms.

Hope this gives you something, I would be happy to hear what you come up with for practicing this, it is always nice to get another point of view.

Jens
hanni

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interesting lesson about feeling where 8th and 4th and those put to, it was a singing lesson. I had to walk around our piano player in 8th and 4th steps when he was playing - and just singing dubi du dab da..... till it works. I think that could work with a guitar too.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake.

Have you checked out this book/dvd? Recommendable.

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=21108DP
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy wrote:
Hey Jake.

Have you checked out this book/dvd? Recommendable.

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=21108DP

Michael, thanks, that looks cool. Have you had the book for a while, worked with it a lot?

Jens - good point about tempos, it definitely is harder at certain tempos it's been helpful to think of it at more realistic tempos. I haven't been shedding this stuff too hard but I think it's nice to have in the back pocket...feeling the big beat is definitely essential.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I`ve had it for a while. I`ve worked with some things from the book, but not as much as I should have I guess Smile But this subject is definitely something I have to work more on.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy wrote:
Yeah, I`ve had it for a while. I`ve worked with some things from the book, but not as much as I should have I guess Smile But this subject is definitely something I have to work more on.

it takes several life times...Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: