PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your turn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Your turn Reply with quote

ok, you're reading this, you play jazz guitar, and we've been talking about trying to make this forum more active.

What have you been working on?

What's really troubling you about your playing lately?

Any new music you've been listening to that's really been inspiring and might inspire others as well?

Start a thread!
toddinjax

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triads! I've been trying to work building triads off chords tones (altered chord tones too). Check out Garrison Fewell's book Jazz Guitar - a Melodic Approach.
I'm constantly working on making melodies. I try to not play "lines", that is, not just squeezing in "notes that fit" but always a melody.

What still gives me trouble and needs work is "visualizing" or making the fingerboard "light up". I know a pretty good deal of theory, I know the chord tones that "spell" a particular chord and multiple inversions on different string sets. I was instructed to learn the notes and to NOT rely on shapes, and of course this is good, but even knowing the theory and construction of chords, I think I'm missing out on a useful tool by not having this skill in my arsenal. I hear and read about guys saying "the fingerboard just lights up". I'd love to hear suggestions on this subject.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey toddinjax!

Have you checked out the George Van Eps books? Amazon sells 3 of them, and djangobooks sells an earlier book written by him, only as e-book though. These books are all about triads, voiceleading, inner line movements, counterpoint.... Smile I love these books!

Also, Ted Greene. He has a bunch of great lessons and videos at tedgreene.com. Btw, be sure to watch the baroque videos Smile That`s just perfect guitarplaying Smile
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy wrote:
Hey toddinjax!

Have you checked out the George Van Eps books? Amazon sells 3 of them, and djangobooks sells an earlier book written by him, only as e-book though. These books are all about triads, voiceleading, inner line movements, counterpoint.... Smile I love these books!

Also, Ted Greene. He has a bunch of great lessons and videos at tedgreene.com. Btw, be sure to watch the baroque videos Smile That`s just perfect guitarplaying Smile

Jazzy, this might seem like an odd or vague question, but:

In general, how do you approach working from a book?

With a book, I always feel like I need to spend a month on every page to really get a satisfying grasp on the concept. One exercise usually makes me think of fifteen other exercises that would help me to really "get it."

I know players who have a lot of books and maybe some booksmarts to go along, but I don't think much of their playing. I guess it's for that reason that I've been pretty light on books.

You know that I really admire your playing, so I imagine you've found a balance of not spending your whole life on one publication, but spending enough time that the book helps your playing.

Any advice...?
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, kinda difficult question. First of all, I love getting new books, not necesseraly guitar related, it could be also be a music theory book or a counterpoint book or something. So if I discover one new and useful thing, the book is worth it`s money Smile I `ve never "worked" through a whole book btw.

Also if I find an idea I like in a book, I try to make it "my own"; use it in a tune I`m practicing or something.

But some of the books I really dig is the Van Eps books, Jimmy Wyble books, Willmott`s harmony books, a book of Bach Chorales, solo violin stuff by Bach. Almost every time I use one of these books I learn something new Smile

Last edited by Jazzy on Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been sturggling to decide whether what im practicing is really what i want to be playing.
ive been drawn more and more to listeing to non jazz stuff in the hope that it will make my internal melodys more interesting. I think iwas running the risk of directly ripping people off in an attempt to have the 'modern' language together. ive realised that considering there are no gigs in my area really Im not going to play any standards until i absolutely have to and instead oam going to just [ratice with a durmmer i know doing brian blade wolfgang muthspiel friendly travellers sort of stuff. i remember playing on thegrind scene people were much more proactive about gigs.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with a less "Chord Tone Based" approach...the music I've been writing and listening to lately is decidedly more modern in nature, and I need to get my playing into the 21st century.

I even bought a delay pedal.

I know! Really!
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
randalljazz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

half my practice day on the garrison fewell book (first one). one key a day (so through all keys every two weeks), work through all the m11 patterns and licks in the first part of the book, play in all possible fingerings, positions, octaves, mindful of the 5 common applications for each (root of minor chord as 6 or 3 of major, 5 or b9 of dom7, 3 of m7b5).

other half of practice day is playing chord tone pairs ( 1-3, 3-5, 5-7, etc) through tunes (usually 8 measure sections) in six general areas of fretboard with biab. usually stick with one or two tunes for a week.
toddinjax

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Randall,

That's cool; just remember that the point of Garrison's book is not to play just the few ideas he uses for examples, but to take the basic idea he's sharing to get you to build you own melodies/lines using triads built off every/any note in a given chord or corresponding chord scale. He intentionally only uses a small handful of "licks" to express this technique so as to NOT make a "book of licks". He's just showing the basic building blocks of how to go about it, the "raw material" if you will. His book assumes you will do a lot more work on your own, expanding from the root knowledge he's given.
toddinjax

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great lesson from Garrison, Don't know why this wasn't included in the book/
http://www.jazzitalia.net/lezioni/chitarra6/c6_triadsubstitution_eng.asp
randalljazz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddinjax wrote:
Here's a great lesson from Garrison, Don't know why this wasn't included in the book/
http://www.jazzitalia.net/lezioni/chitarra6/c6_triadsubstitution_eng.asp

iirc, he gets into that in the second volume (jazz impprovisation for guitar a harmonic approach):

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Improvisation-Guitar-Harmonic-Approach/dp/0876391048
GambaleSweep

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cycle of 4ths im' singing all possible inversions of dominant chords (just triad + dominant 7 for the moment)... and then playing on the neck in several positions/fingerings... i 'm practicing this exercise with rhythms i found in a polyrhithm 's book.
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still participating in the Martin Taylor site. Currently working on solo versions of "I'm old fashioned", "Someday my prince will come", "Darn that dream", and a few others. I'm trying to improve my inner voice movements and "self-comping" when soloing.

Paul
Jazzy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
I'm still participating in the Martin Taylor site. Currently working on solo versions of "I'm old fashioned", "Someday my prince will come", "Darn that dream", and a few others. I'm trying to improve my inner voice movements and "self-comping" when soloing.

Paul

Looking forward to hear this soon Paul Smile Post some soundclips Smile
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy wrote:
) I `ve never "worked" through a whole book btw.

Cool, that does answer my question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: