PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeing The notes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfads

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Seeing The notes! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been struggling with this issue for a while. I find that my brain almost turns off when i improvise and i struggle to see the notes quick enough! I've been primarily a rock/blues player and haven't had to think too much when playing. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and how to deal with it?

cheers
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say in the context of learning anything is a conscious effort. Thought time, effort, practice things transcend to being more of a subconscious result when applied. Unfortunately (I've done this) sometimes we want to *hurry* this result and expect subconscious results prematurely. The most obvious answer as I see it. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
mfads

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it comes down to achieving that level of consciousness.... one day
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is said that if you only own one tool, and that tool happens to be a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

At the risk of being accused of being a hammer enthusiast, I'll mention humming, singing, scatting, as you play, just as I did in the recent thread about holding tempo.

You don't need a guitar to improvise a jazz solo, and in fact it is more natural to do this with your voice. It doesn't necessarily have to be loud enough for anyone else to hear...but it can be.

Herb Ellis used to do this, and I think there are some youtube videos where you can watch him -- looks like he's working a tough piece of brisket -- but what he is doing is very quietly singing an improvised solo and playing the same solo note-for-note on the guitar.

George Benson did the same thing -- audibly -- when he was still playing a lot of jazz. I don't know whether he does now with what he is playing, but he used to.

So anyway, try improvising the solo with your voice and play along with the guitar, note-for-note, and see if that helps get you where you want to be.
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a rock/blues player and haven't had to think too much when playing.
or at any other time
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, in fact as suggested by other contrbutors its the thinking that may be your undoing. Theres a time a for thinking and a time for doing. As I said somewhere else in my pompous fashion if you thought about waliking when you were you might fall over.
mfads

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's time to start doing and less "thinking." thanks for the advice guys!

p.s I've noticed also Kurt Rosenwinkel pretty much sings everything he plays.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're reading, read ahead. Practice slowly and make your eye look
ahead. The really good reading horn guys do that.
I think most guitar players struggle with sight reading just because of the nature of the instrument.
For me, practicing arppegios helps with the improv.
toddinjax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jazzerchick"]When you're reading, read ahead. Practice slowly and make your eye look
ahead. The really good reading horn guys do that.
I think most guitar players struggle with sight reading just because of the nature of the instrument.
For me, practicing arppegios helps with the improv.[/quote]

I think the OP is talking about "seeing" the notes on the fretboard (perhaps going off his more well known path of pentatonic "boxes") when soloing, rather than sight reading.
Tung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jazz lines that you play should be practiced until you can internalize it. Easier said than done, but I do this in a couple ways:
1- practice lines and then transpose it to different keys
2- play the same lines but with different fingerings and in different positions of the neck.
If you can do this then you really know the lick, not just memorized patterns.
I always find that playing along with chords backing really helped too, that's when I can really improvise with the lick instead of regurgitating it verbatim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: