PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to record into your computer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docta_j

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: how to record into your computer? Reply with quote

i see some of you guys post clips of yourselves playing tunes. i really want to be able to do that so i can get some constructive criticism but i don't know what gear to buy toallow me to record into my computer and send the clip to you guys.

so if you could just post the exact equipment you use to record into the computer i'd be so appreciative. i want to be able to do it so bad but i don't know what stuff to buy, especially since the people at guitar center try to sell me expensive recording equipment when i'm just looking for something simple.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how to record into your computer? Reply with quote

docta_j wrote:
i see some of you guys post clips of yourselves playing tunes. i really want to be able to do that so i can get some constructive criticism but i don't know what gear to buy toallow me to record into my computer and send the clip to you guys.

so if you could just post the exact equipment you use to record into the computer i'd be so appreciative. i want to be able to do it so bad but i don't know what stuff to buy, especially since the people at guitar center try to sell me expensive recording equipment when i'm just looking for something simple.

Least costly example, You have a computer, does your computer have audio in (most do that have sound). That's it! Even the simple 'Sound Recorder' in Windows will get you two track digital audio. Beyond this, we need more information, what do you specifically want to do, what do you specifically have, how much are you specifically willing to spend.

Ps..I'm moving this thread to the recording section. Wink
jokron

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you have a PC...

1. Get a good free sequencer, for example http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ . You can also buy an issue of Computer Music, it usually coems with a CD loaded with sequencer, drum samplers and other samplers. You need it for handling different tracks, backing track and guitartrack, or if you move on, you might want to import some drumloops and play midibass with a free VSTi-plugin, or why not a real bass-guitar, record rythmguitar and finally sologuitar. You may even want to record some vocals too. It isn't that hard as it seems from the very beginning.

2. If you have a PC, I bet you have a Soundblaster Live soundcard. To handle the timing and avoid latency when recording, you need a good ASIO driver for the soundcard, there are two that I know of that is free: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/intro.php and http://www.asio4all.com/

3. To get your sound from the guitar and maybe the vocals into the computer I recommend you buy a small mixer i e Behringer UB502 http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG . If you don't want to record vocals, you can buy a Virtual Guitar amp i e Behringer V-AMP 2 http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

4. Now you need to connect the mixer/Guitar amplifier line out or the Virtual guitar amp to the soundcard with some cables, and you're on the track...

5. For listening, you can do with an ordinary stereo equipment...or headphones if your wife doesn't want to hear the same solo played fifteen times... Wink

Read the manuals carefully...

Good luck!

/J
chitlinsonrye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very new at all of this myself. But I use a Digitech RP150 (@$100) and freeware called Audacity. Not professional, but relatively cheap, easy to set up and it works. I find the '65 Twin model with a touch of room reverb and some EQ can sound not bad at all...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good stuff can be done with that setup chitlinsonrye. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
chitlinsonrye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I always knew hooking the guitar up to the computer was fairly complex. When I picked up this pedal (mainly to use as a headphone amp) and managed to do so easily, I was surprised. Granted, if you are using speakers it can pose a problem. But with the headphones plugged into the pedal I manage to hear playback as well.
Disco Volante

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the Line 6 Toneport UX1. These things are dirt cheap at the moment, come with some great software for amp models and effects and also comes with a lite version of Ableton Live. It has a guitar input and a mic input if you want to mike up your amp rather than using the software amp models. Great drivers for low latency too.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still using an older GuitarPort in tandom with a roland guitar synth setup and software synths and still thrilled with the rig for practice and laying down ideas.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, one doesn't have to actually record into the computer, and bother with all this fancy expensive gadgetry and programs. Just plug your tape deck or CD player into the computer's audio-in or whatever and use Audacity to record that.

But, as I've indicated elsewhere, I'm still all analog. You can't beat good magnetic tape. Very Happy
Jazz Playa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
New Marco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the person is asking how to record themselves playing as in a youtube style video, to show other's their playing?

If thats indeed the case, no need for all the fancy gizmos and hookups.

Just get a basic webcam and microphone. It's as simple as that.

Works for accoustic or electric - you didnt specify which your trying to record.

If you seriously want to make clear recorded guitar tracks, then you should get one of the interfaces mentioned above...
Just plug your electric in or buy a quality Mic for accoustic.

On a very basic level...you could make demo quality lines with just an electric guitar multi effects unit, and a cable with the right jacks.

Good luck!
pena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the best to give feedback here but I definitely think you are asking in the right place!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: