PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What irritates the most?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What irritates the most?
Trumpet Players
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sax Players
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Piano Players
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Drummers
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Women who scat sing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Audience members who request Clapton or Hendrix
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Audience members who request Glenn Miller or Cab Calloway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Polls by cjm
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

cjm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: What irritates the most? Reply with quote

Whether you gig, or just listen to groups on the stereo, youtube, etc., there's got to be something that honks you off.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those, but I get annoyed when people request George Benson. That's just because when they do it on MY gig it annoyed me because my band is original. And I don't know any. Of course I've played Masquerade and Broadway and whatnot. But I don't know them without a chart. As easy as On Broadway is!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really vote either. Sad

My top two annoyances :

1. People who can not tune! Either working with or listening it drives me nuts!
2. Along the lines of what Henry said, being asked to play gigs largely focused around standards and never being provided either a list of tunes, or charts. Try to accommodate by bringing my own fake books only to find what ever comes up next is being played in a different key and simply not being able to transpose that fast. My own shortcoming in ways as knowing a billion standards has never been my MO, but I can learn and read new material...usually. Confused

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
cjm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
I can't really vote either. :(

My top two annoyances :

1. People who can not tune! Either working with or listening it drives me nuts!
2. Along the lines of what Henry said, being asked to play gigs largely focused around standards and never being provided either a list of tunes, or charts. Try to accommodate by bringing my own fake books only to find what ever comes up next is being played in a different key and simply not being able to transpose that fast. My own shortcoming in ways as knowing a billion standards has never been my MO, but I can learn and read new material...usually. :?

Yeah...that ain't fun. One time I got called to play bass for a night and I guess if I'm being charitable, I could describe the playlist as "standards." On the phone, I had asked about the list so I could scrounge up changes...was told "Don't worry about it, we'll give you lead sheets for everything."

Which they did.

However, they didn't play any of the songs in the keys their lead sheets were arranged in.

Which wouldn't have been completely a recipe for a evening of train wrecks, except for the fact that the damned fools would just launch into each tune without calling out the key.

But I had a house full of young kids, my wife was starting to have serious health problems, and gigs were badly needed supplemental income, so I stuck it out for the evening.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people request songs or try to talk to me in the middle of a tune. I can't talk and play, dumbass.

One time I was busking with a tenor player and a guy came over with his girlfriend:

"Hey can you guys play cherokee really uptempo!?"

ok sure, and we started playing it

about 6 bars in he goes "how about giant steps?"

ok sure, and we started playing it

"can my girlfriend sing summertime with you?"

Argh!!!!

"Can I play your guitar?"

You can't make this up!
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! People talking to you while you're playing! Most of the time that happens to me they're well meaning people who know me and haven't seen me for a long time. But still they come up like I'm standing at the buffet table and start talking and even hugging!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gigged in far too long to even remember what irritated me the most. I did a fair share of corporate gigs back in the 80's and I always got a kick out of The Book of Jobbing written by Steve Hashimoto (just saw him play last night).

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: