PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guitar do you use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What guitar do you use?
Carved archtop acoustic
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Carved archtop electric
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Laminate (plywood) archtop electric
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Semi hollowbody( electric
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Solid body electric
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
"Selmer-Maccaferri" style steel string acoustic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Steel string acoustic (folk/country flat top)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nylon/Gut string classical guitar
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

cjm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: What guitar do you use? Reply with quote

One of the difficulties in discussing jazz guitar online is the very notion of what jazz is, and often forum participants "talk past each other" because each is talking about something quite different. Used broadly, the term jazz guitar encompasses everything from the purely acoustic sounds of the 1920s through the mid/late 1930s to wholly electric sounds with extensive use of effects found in jazz rock stylings.

The guitar itself is a big part of all that. Without attempting to define "jazz," perhaps it would be interesting to know what guitars are used to produce what ever it is we each define as jazz.

Obviously, some people maintain large and diverse collections with almost every type of guitar represented...but that's not the question.

To me, it's the amplified sound of a hollowbody archtop electric, and I prefer plywood...but what tool do you primarily use?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main guitar is a Gibson ES-355. I have a fat bodied jazz guitar - 1965 Epiphone Broadway, but I haven't play it in years. I'm not so much into the TRADITIONAL sound.

My other main electric guitar used on more fusion stuff is my Fender Strat with lace sensors and Clapton electronics. They call this model something now, but when I got it, it was a proto type not yet manufactured.

And then I have various other solid bodies -- Tele, other Strats, no name, many built for me by a great guy named Tommie Shorter. Two Taylor acoustics --

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
My main guitar is a Gibson ES-355. I have a fat bodied jazz guitar - 1965 Epiphone Broadway, but I haven't play it in years. I'm not so much into the TRADITIONAL sound.

Is that mostly a quest for more sustain than hollowbodies deliver; is it more feedback resistance, or; something else entirely?
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 3 different types of guitars. Because I have been on the road for work for so long, I used to carry around an old Ovation acoustic, but this year I bought a Voyage-Air folding flattop acoustic (which I love!!) that I take with when I travel. At home, I've used my Ibanez GB10 a lot over the last few years, but lately I've been using my ES-335 almost exclusively as I found it really nice for the chord-melody stuff I've been concentrating on, so this is the one I picked for the poll. I also have a ES-175, but don't use it too often.

Paul
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
Henryrobinett wrote:

Is that mostly a quest for more sustain than hollowbodies deliver; is it more feedback resistance, or; something else entirely?
Naw. Just the guitar I found that feels the best, and it kinda can do the jazz thing if I roll off the treble and roll up the bass. I decided a long time ago I was more of a "modern" jazz guitarist. Whatever that means.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
I use 3 different types of guitars. Because I have been on the road for work for so long, I used to carry around an old Ovation acoustic, but this year I bought a Voyage-Air folding flattop acoustic (which I love!!) that I take with when I travel. At home, I've used my Ibanez GB10 a lot over the last few years, but lately I've been using my ES-335 almost exclusively as I found it really nice for the chord-melody stuff I've been concentrating on, so this is the one I picked for the poll. I also have a ES-175, but don't use it too often.

Paul

Sort of a poll within a poll, but what characteristics cause you to choose the ES-335 as your main guitar?
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my reasons for asking...I'm sort of interested in the physiology behind guitar selection.

Why? Hell, I don't know. Too much time on my hands, maybe.

I'm into the jazz sound of an electric guitar, so that narrows my personal choice to electrics.

The reason I have a strong preference for hollowbody archtop electrics has little to do with tone, although I do appreciate the hollowbody's rapid decay/lack of sustain which helps "shape" notes.

For me, it's mostly the direct aural and tactile feedback to the ears, left hand, and through the back of the guitar to me big fat belly. All that translates into a more immediate "response."

Semi-hollows and slabs often leave me with the sense that I'm playing an amplifier by remote control, and I find that disorienting. Believe me, I need all the help I can get on the bandstand.

But obviously, that need for direct mechanical feedback isn't universal...witness the number of people using Telecasters and Strats.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main jazzguitar is a Dale Unger American Dream, by far the best archtop I`ve ever tried. I try to combine both the "traditional" and the more "modern" sound I guess. But for me it`s important to "hear the wood." I`ve never really connected with semi-hollows.
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
PaulD wrote:

Paul

Sort of a poll within a poll, but what characteristics cause you to choose the ES-335 as your main guitar?

Probably that the 335 fits more with what I'm working on these days. I have 12-52 gauge strings on the GB10, and 10-49ís on the 335. The action is set a little lower on the 335, so itís a lot easier on my hands to play sustained chords while I move voices around, which is the type of stuff Iím currently working on. The GB10 tone is far warmer, but for some reason (probably from listening to a lot of Lenny Breau lately) I started to like the brightness of the 335. For single line stuff I really love the GB10. Iím sure Iíll go back and forth between them, but for now, for my chord-melody stuff Iíve got the 335 on the guitar stand and the GB10 in the closet. I'll be starting up with a jazz ensemble class in January, and then I'm not sure which one I will take.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: