PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Recording Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: My Recording Studio Reply with quote

I have a recording studio -- two actually. One where I rehearse and my band and clients record and the other at home where I write, mix, produce, do basic guitar tracking and master recordings.

I suppose it's not possible to post pictures?

Anyway it's one of the several ways I've managed to make a living as a jazz musician. I record into one of two Macs -- MacPro 2.66 Quad or Mac Pro 2.8 Quad. I use Metric Halo ULN-8s, two in each studio. They are the hub around which the studio revolves. I also use Millennia HV3-D mic pres, a host of many mics.

I have two isolation booths for acoustic bass, horns, singers, acoustic guitars, what have you. The drummer has the studio space with me the guitarist and engineer.

For the guitar amps I have an old actual 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb, Seymour Duncan Convertible ora Mesa/Boogie Quad, but have been using a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra for the past year almost exclusively.

When I use the amp I generally use a Royer or AEA ribbon mic. They have a smoother response. They're also great on trumpet, alto sax or trombone. Those brassy, loud instruments than can benefit from smoothing out.

My DAW of choice is Digital Performer 7.24, but I also use Pro Tools 9 or Logic 8. I do remote recording as well with Metric Halos Record Panel and don't use any of those other DAWS.

My place is called Studio Bohemia. [/img]

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Recording Studio Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
I have a recording studio -- two actually. One where I rehearse and my band and clients record and the other at home where I write, mix, produce, do basic guitar tracking and master recordings.

I suppose it's not possible to post pictures?

Anyway it's one of the several ways I've managed to make a living as a jazz musician. I record into one of two Macs -- MacPro 2.66 Quad or Mac Pro 2.8 Quad. I use Metric Halo ULN-8s, two in each studio. They are the hub around which the studio revolves. I also use Millennia HV3-D mic pres, a host of many mics.

I have two isolation booths for acoustic bass, horns, singers, acoustic guitars, what have you. The drummer has the studio space with me the guitarist and engineer.

For the guitar amps I have an old actual 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb, Seymour Duncan Convertible ora Mesa/Boogie Quad, but have been using a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra for the past year almost exclusively.

When I use the amp I generally use a Royer or AEA ribbon mic. They have a smoother response. They're also great on trumpet, alto sax or trombone. Those brassy, loud instruments than can benefit from smoothing out.

My DAW of choice is Digital Performer 7.24, but I also use Pro Tools 9 or Logic 8. I do remote recording as well with Metric Halos Record Panel and don't use any of those other DAWS.

My place is called Studio Bohemia. [/img]

Why record?

What I'm asking is, do you primarily record "for the hell of it" -- which is a perfectly valid reason by itself -- or is there another purpose?

Do you produce recordings for commercial sale? If so, do you sell CDs at gigs, or distribute them some other way?

Is the home studio primarily an educational tool you employ within your university teaching career?

Do you use the studio mostly to evaluate/fine tune your sound?

Mostly demo CDs as a marketing tool to get gigs?

Or is it to produce downloadable music files for sale?

All the above?

I've been called in to back up people making demo CDs...been in a big band recorded live for CD sales...but never got into recording myself. But it seems to me that technology has advanced to the degree that home/small scale recording is on a par, or better, than the technology available to the major studios "back in the day," and I'm curious -- not so much as to HOW people are recording -- but what they're doing with these recordings.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was posted way back when in the following thread.
http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=924

Stuff keeps getting better and better and easier to use. My recording efforts are entirely for personal satisfaction and pacification. In the very least it's a good way to create scratch tracks to wank over. Laughing

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The studio is WAY too expensive to use it just to review my own sound! I said "clients" in the opening paragraph! It's how I add additional income as a jazz musician.

I'
m a composer. I have a band or two. I make CDs - my own, but also others. I produce, arrange, and engineer other peoples CDs as well as my own.

I'm sorry. I thought that was implicit in the post!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for expanding on your original post...

It's just that clients doesn't necessarily imply a commercial, profitable, operation, or even perhaps, an additional fee.

A private student recorded so that he or she can actually listen to their playing as a learning experience could be considered a client, for example.

But I think it's great that it is a commercial success to the degree it supplements income...I'm all for anything that helps keep people in jazz as a career.

For me, the Social Security Administration is why I can play jazz as my only "work."
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough! And to be honest it doesn't always pay for itself month to month. But there are some months that pay for several all at once.

The challenge is how to survive in this art and business. The answer for me is to be as diversified as possible. Gigs of my own original, as a sideman, teaching in school and privately ( I don't do that any more), studio guitar, production, mixing, recording, mastering, -- It's an adventure!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: