PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's your happy place?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you like to do the most?
Single note soloing...
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Chord solos...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sparse comping...
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Laying down a rhythm groove...
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Lush backing for a singer...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All of the above...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Something else entirely...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

cjm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Where's your happy place? Reply with quote

There was a poll earlier asking what "needs work."

But the ultimate goal of that "work" is performance, whether live on the bandstand; in the recording studio; at home with friends, or; maybe even alone at home for our own amusement.

So during performance, and whether you gig or not, or even ever intend to gig, what aspect of playing jazz guitar do you enjoy the most?

For me, it's rhythm and I distinguish rhythm from comping in the poll. I take some solos, but I'm happiest playing rhythm in a combo.

It's all fun, but there's a special place to be...

Howboutchew?
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a tough one...I was going to go for 'all of the above' because I really do love each one of those categories, but I thought a little more and selected 'sparse comping'. I've been discovering how much fun 2 and 3 note chords are. As the neck begins to open up to me little by little, I love trying to find ways to connect things when comping.

Paul
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
I've been discovering how much fun 2 and 3 note chords are.

Those are the basis for most of my rhythm playing as well.

If some one was to watch my left hand closely, they might well conclude two things:

1. "This guy is a moron and can't play."

2. "The damned fool is playing a lot of 5 and 6 string chords."

But if they watched the pick instead, they would see that inside strings and 2~4 notes are all that are normally being sounded.

Of course they wouldn't change their opinion about me being a moron, but some things we find self evident.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked 1 and feel kind of odd about it. My excuse is I genuinely enjoy making up melodies. But second thoughts are I also picked 1 because it comes most easily for me. Where a couple of the others would probably make me a better player. Confused

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
I picked 1 and feel kind of odd about it. My excuse is I genuinely enjoy making up melodies. But second thoughts are I also picked 1 because it comes most easily for me. Where a couple of the others would probably make me a better player. :?

Well, that's what draws people to the guitar as their instrument in the first place.

But yeah...you know, you compare the amount of dead trees that have gone into publishing method books for soloing versus rhythm and/or comping. Most suburban back yards have enough trees to make paper to publish everything ever written NOT devoted to soloing.

And if it's about chords...it's all about big fat chords with 47 bazillion extensions and how to graft on a sixth digit so you can play 'em. "George van Eps In Six Easy Weeks."

It's funny though. If you play in combos, and you mostly solo, there's often a competitive thing going on no matter how hard you work at preventing it. You might play one hell of a solo (read "in theory you might play a hell of a solo," if it's me with the guitar), but the insecurity thing starts to kick in.

But you mostly play rhythm or comp (depending on the need at the moment) and take solos only when offered (no matter how rarely they're offered), and your guitar playing can reek of donkey doo doo -- if it only reeks without being actual donkey doo doo -- you're the messiah packing a guitar within a group.

Odd how life works out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: