PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practice time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Practice time Reply with quote

Ive been traveling for work between Chicago and Dallas for 4 days at a time, every week for the last 2 years. Of course I took a guitar with me, and even bought the Voyage-Air folding guitar just for my weekly commute. Well, my traveling days are over, at least for the foreseeable future. Im very glad to be home and will not miss the early morning flights, airport delays and long security lines at all. But what has really hit home since Ive stopped traveling last month is how much I am going to miss the amount of woodshed time I was enjoying while traveling. Because I was in a hotel 4 days per week and had less than a 5 minute commute to the office, I could spend hours both before and after work practicing. I was putting in at least 3-4 hours per day. Now that Im back I have a 1 hour commute each way to work, and of course having been away for these long stretches, I have a very long list of home repairs and assorted honey-do items. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and I got a lot out of the longer practice sessions, but Im back to my 1-hour(ish) a day practice regimen. Not a terrible thing though, just need to be more granular and focused. I did enroll in a jazz ensemble class once per week, so that will give me additional specific things to work on.

How much time do you get to spend in the woodshed?

Paul
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 and a half to 3 and a half per day. My boys have been home the last few days so I didn't practice yesterday and won't today, but otherwise it's pretty consistent.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice time is sort of a problem. Even though I'm retired on disability, there's the matter of my wife being able only to work part time with her MS, and our youngest son having moved home after his state job was eliminated due to budget cuts. The TV seems to always be on or people want to talk (and you can't deny them that)...plus after months of chemo and radiation, it's actually damned tough for me to get started on anything much before noon.

Still, compensatory to this is that I get 5~8 hours per week during evenings on the bandstand and that makes a big difference.

But I probably only average about 20 minutes to half an hour wood shed time on the days I'm not playing out.

Be better if I got more, but...
trotsky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...practice time...Whats that???

Usually over my morning coffee until the kids find their wind...then I am screwed!!
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very famous musician told me once, if not more times, "musicians practice." As silly as this sounds it hit me on a delayed reaction a few years later. THAT'S what we do. The results of what we practice are on the bandstand or in the studio. So I decided that THAT'S my job.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
A very famous musician told me once, if not more times, "musicians practice." As silly as this sounds it hit me on a delayed reaction a few years later. THAT'S what we do. The results of what we practice are on the bandstand or in the studio. So I decided that THAT'S my job.

For me it's more like therapy rather than a job. I'm back to my old pre-travel routine - I get up pretty early (4:50 AM) and by 5:AM I'm working out (alternate days on treadmill, bike, Bowflex & free weights in my basement). I start my guitar practice session at around 6:00 and by 7:15 I'm getting ready for work. Weekends are a little different, as I can still put in 3-4 hours both Saturdays & Sundays. I really look forward to my mornings...they set the tone for the rest of my day.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally aim for at least 1:40 per day of time spent only focused on my musical goals. I might noodle beyond that, and that time doesn't count for bathroom breaks, email checking, etc. It's completely focused time on whatever I've decided, beforehand, to practice. Usually weekends I can get a little more.

I am very easily distracted, so it is sometimes a challenge to even get in those hours, even though I don't currently work full time. When I was teaching more and had some other personal things going on I found it quite difficult to get in those 100 minutes on any day, never mind every day.

The thing about practice time, people calculate it differently.

I think some people might consider that if you sit down with the guitar at noon and find yourself hungry for dinner at 6pm then you've practiced for six hours, but I've long believed that there are so many distractions that the total practice time in that case would be much less than six hours.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm kind of anal about practice time. I have a timer. When I take a break to get more coffee or to go to the bathroom, answer the phone etc. I pause the timer. So my practice time reflects actual time working the fretboard, not including noodle or writing.

Sometimes I need a four hour slot to get three hours in.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
Yes. I'm kind of anal about practice time. I have a timer. When I take a break to get more coffee or to go to the bathroom, answer the phone etc. I pause the timer. So my practice time reflects actual time working the fretboard, not including noodle or writing.

Sometimes I need a four hour slot to get three hours in.

I need a ten hour slot to get three hours in Shocked
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should add that for me, doctor's orders, I need to take a 5m break away from the guitar for every 20-25 minutes of playing. It's essential for my nerve condition, and helps me stay organized and avoid noodling, but it does slow down my momentum. It's rare that the the break is actually 5 - usually I'll get distracted with something and it will be more like 5-15.

If it weren't for those breaks I'd probably be able to get an extra hour in every day, but I'd also probably not police myself from noodling
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's probably really good and important to take those breaks, just physically if for no other reason.

Btw I use the timer not police myself to do a certain amount. I have a program I do daily that varies every third day. I just want to see how long it takes. But I also don't want to fool myself into thinking I'm practicing 5 hours when it's really only two.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about focused time vs. noodling. If I have only an hour, I probably get in a good 50 minutes of focused practice with a couple of 5 minute breaks. If I have all morning to practice, the noodle factor does increase a bit. But I'm usually pretty good about catching myself and either re-focusing or taking a break.

Paul
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't do a lot of noodling, unless you call improv on standards noodling. All of my practice is very focused.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me improv on standards would not be noodling since I'm often trying out new things over tunes as part of my practice. Sometimes I give myself parameters, such as only playing in one position through the tune, or I can only use the 3rd, 6th or 9th of each chord, or my lines have to alternate ascending and descending every 4 notes, etc. This sort of stuff helps me break out of playing what I know, and once in a great while it even almost sounds good Smile

Paul
toddinjax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic!
Random thoughts in no particular order:

If you keep a guitar out of its case, it's much more likely you'll grab it and play! 5,10 or 15 minute practice sessions can be very productive. Say you're working on a particular chord fingering or jump up/down the neck; grab the guitar off the stand and work that problem for even 2 or 3 minutes - several times per day. If you really look for the time you'll likely find it. If you're going out to dinner and you're ready to go, but your wife isn't, grab your guitar - no telling how much time you'll get on this one!
15 -30 minutes practice before I leave for work put me in a great mood - I haven't left the house yet and I've accomplished something.

If I'm cleaning the house I'll load the dishwasher, play 5 -10, clean bathrooms, play 5, vacuum, play 10.. it adds up.

Segovia never practiced for more than 45 minutes at a sitting, 5 times a day. He asked a student at a master class "how much do you practice", the student answered 8 hours a day. Segovia told him "you're either a monkey or a liar" meaning of course that you can't focus, concentrate at the level required for improvement, for 8 hours. Not to mention risk of injury from practicing 8 -16 hours a day. Liona Boyd is singing now because she put in so many hours she developed dystonia and can't play now!

Even if you MUST watch a tv show, you can probably find 15 minutes before it starts, and for a 1 hour show, there's about 17 minutes of commercials (that why there's a mute button), probably a lot more if you watch sports.

I try to get my real "practice" earlier, when I'm less tired and leave writing, trying new tunes, noodling, and of course online forums, for later in the evenings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: