PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a thought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

So heres something...

I like to think I have a pretty fair handle on my mediocrity as a player of Jazz.. Laughing
However,.. I don't really suffer from false modestly either and know that some of the things that I play will turn heads to people who have never heard the guitar played the way a lot of us here play it.

Most of the time they just haven't been exposed to it.

I was at the local music store recently and plugged my guitar into one of the Princeton RI's...thought it might make a nice living room amp.
I try and pick times when there will be less people at the store but today there were a few people kicking around...
I chose a corner of the store and noodled away just playing over standard tunes and some of the simple chord melody stuff that you guys know that I play. I made a conscious effort to try and not draw attention to myself however after a few minutes I get a bunch of people gathering around and fussing about the way I play..

Now I have been in this position before as I am sure all of us have.

I thank people for the praise and answer any questions and try and turn them on to the people that I listen to or have listened to with the full knowledge that there are guys out there that would eat me for breakfast...

What gets me though is this...

The little bit of music that I play has an immediate impact on these people and peaks the curiosity... I can understand that because I love this music...but I guarantee it goes no further for some of these folks who will return home to whatever banality that happens to be their current flavour.

...And thats fine..it really is..
Like, I am way past trying to convince people how great this music...I have no pedestal anymore. I kind of like that it is our little secret.

But ,..why even ask how to voice that Bb Maj 9 chord...or what scale am I playing over that sus chord...

That is what confuses me a bit.

What value could it have. It would make more sense if people came over and told me I was wasting my time or ignored me completely

No real question...just venting....the real shame of it is that a part of me ...to be honest ..still enjoys the attention a wee bit..even though I am in a small lunch bucket town where I am the King with one eye among the blind musically. Rolling Eyes
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are responding to the mystery in music, for them. Music is entirely mysterious to a lot of guitar players who learned from friends showing them licks and from tabs alone. Plus they can show that they know SOMETHING by asking "what scale . . .?" type of questions.

I think it's all good. I asked those kinds of questions when I was starting out and they helped guide me down the garden path. I remember asking many musicians many questions about "how to." And the answers, even the questions themselves, served me well.

Most people, I think, believe music springs from the unknown, and some people are gifted in pulling it out and others just have no talent. And maybe it does and maybe that's true, but there's technical know-how involved as well.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's never actually happened to me. When I go to the music store, they're usually blasting music on the speakers and there's at least 1 kid playing with the amp turned up to 11. But thinking about it, it doesn't seem that strange to me that people would ask you questions in a music store since there a common thread of interest. I see it as no different than when I ask my car mechanic in the shop some questions about my engine, as I blankly stare at it. I'm not going to go and work on it at home, but I still ask.

Paul
steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Jazz has always been live music in my opinion.
I think these people you mentioned just got a taste of kive jazz and enjoyed it. What a pity they don't get exposed to it more often.

Just my 2 cents.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:

Jazz has always been live music in my opinion.
I think these people you mentioned just got a taste of kive jazz and enjoyed it. What a pity they don't get exposed to it more often.

Ah, but the ability to acknowledge itís cool is still an evolution in musical maturation for many! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison Paul.
That sums it up beautifully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: