PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axe Fx II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Axe Fx II Reply with quote

Heresy I know! But I have a new amp I'm excited about. Heresy because it's not a real amp. It uses modeling technology. It's the Fractal Audio Systems Axe Fx II. It's way overkill for me generally because I don't use all those do dads most of the time. BUT I do do studio work where the client (or me) wants some tone not easily reproduced unless you have 9 amps and effects.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-fx-ii-preamp-fx-processor.php

Hey, I know 99% of you will hate this, but what the hell. It's quiet. Maybe it'll bring some of you out of your playjazzguitar.com slumber!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This?

NICE! I haven't even heard it and I like it!! And balanced direct stereo outs to boot, SWEET!! Cool

That's in the least a lean mean recording machine there buddy!!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the one! Thanks. It's an awesome recording machine. But it's also great for live. Incredibly flexible. I have 2 12" cabs.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no way with the negative... that really interests me.

Any chance you can demo that thing with a video or something?

Now that would be really cool!!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
Yeah that's the one! Thanks. It's an awesome recording machine. But it's also great for live. Incredibly flexible. I have 2 12" cabs.

Oh I bet! I can see there's an outboard software for patch editing via usb/midi but also takes pretty normal midi triggered program changes and dynamics control so once again, pretty slick little studio piece. Awesome live too for sure, but I would want to sequence program changes and getting a jazz combo to follow a click track ain't happening! Laughing

If you can't tell, I've never been the all natural purest. I like gizmos! Awesome!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tweakable beyond tweakville. That's the only complaint users have, or the most common, is that there are too many variables. But some people think that if there's a knob it must be tweaked. The thing is you can get any guitar sound imaginable. At least any I can. It's very deep and I've only scratched the surface. But I'm no longer intimidated. I had the Ultra before it, which was a little less intimidating, but was harder to dial in sounds. I just used the presets more or less.

I've never played a Dumble or ANY of those boutique hi gain amps. I was told by a friend who HAS Dumble that the Axe Fx II is spot on to the degree that he sound his Dumble and a few other amps.

Hell, I have three amps I haven't touched in almost three years. I'm going to sell my Mesa Boogie Quad pre. I have to put some money back in the coffers so my wife won't kill me for buying the Axe Fx II!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still loving this thing. It's become kind of an obsession. I find myself bending notes and going for distortion tones I've never gotten before, because I never own 95% of these amps. And of course it forces you (me) to develop a different kind of technique.

I always kind of shunned gear as the primary tone factor, preferring to belief that it's all in the hands and fingers. Seeing and hearing myself play cerrtan guitars through certain amps, the player still sounds like THAT musician, just playing through different amps, pedals and guitars.

Well I still believe that's more or less true, but damn . . .

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: