PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long does it take to get your mojo back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: How long does it take to get your mojo back? Reply with quote

How long does it take to get your mojo back after a small lay off? Some times I miss 5 days or a week. Sometimes, lately I've had to miss a few days so the practice isnt as consistent as I'd like. When I was younger it would seem to take forever to get back to where I thought I was after missing just a couple of days! Now three days seems to be it. I'm not sure whether or not I'm suffering from the opposite problem. You know - age/youth.

I end up doing technical exercises. Today I did a lot of chromatic exercises so I'd give all my fingers a workout. Then my picking stuff and tunes. It's still going to take me a couple of more days to feel like I'm back to normal.

How about yooz guys?

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really taken more than a day, maybe 2, at a time off in the last 15 years, so I don't really notice a big change the next day. When I do miss a day, I usually just play tunes to get back in shape. With regards to mojo, I guess getting it back implies that I had mojo to begin with Laughing .

After I got married and went back to school I stopped playing and literally did not touch a guitar for years at a time. When I finally got back into it, it took me a couple of years to even get close to where I had left off.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked many times over the years by people who don't really play and like Paul have taken lengthy periods off.

First part is some level of things remain second nature, things may feel a bit foreign but don't just vansh. Higher level things take work, not unlike an athlete, to perform a function may be second nature but to be at the top of their game requires training to get the physical back up to speed.

Second part, a break can cause new perspective, a way of looking at things differently.

So IMO, a break isn't a bad thing, sort of like a vacation, it actually may make things better.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rarely taken any lengthy periods off. I think I didn't play for three weeks once. I'm basically just talking about warm up for short lay offs. A short lay off for me is 3-5 days. Actually for ME that's a long lay off. But, you know what I mean.

It takes 3 days to feel normal again. But my regular practice routines are daily, consistent, relatively long and some might say grueling. I have to have chops, so if I fall of the rails I can definitely feel it.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: