PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warren Nunes' picking technique
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reluctant to chime in here ..but for better or for worse I am a member here and feel compelled if for no other reason than to keep this forum active.

I dont know how I can even play this guitar but I can say that any time that I have really sat down and tried to work on a specific picking technique I have found it really crippling.

I am kind of an odd dude in terms of actual physical approach to the instrument but the best success that I ve had is to try and hear something then just to go after it.
If I think about employing some sort of alternate picking or 3 notes per string , hybrid picking concept the wheels fall off.
I do find myself using these things but it definitely isnt a conscience thing.

I have started using a way thicker pick recently and have made a concerted effort to hold it looser and pick a little lighter.
That has made my movement on the instrument more efficient.

Last edited by trotsky on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
rwmol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene. When you have the "perfect mouse trap", why try to make it better? I make it a point to listen to every thing you post. Your phrasing, tone and technique are fantastic.

Now, I'm old too, 67. I have a physical problem with my right hand Lost my index finger in a industrial accident and scar tissue still remains. I'm now resolute to the fact I'm limited. But, being an intermediate player I continue to try and improve. Again, being self taught I'm limited.

What I'm trying to say here is, I wish I had your chops.

Thanks for all the great music Gene.

Randy
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thx so much for the kind words Randy.

I certainly wasnt fishing for complements but I am glad that you enjoy my playing.

Too bad about your hand. My hands have had a rough go too .Through sports I have broken most fingers at least once and some are pretty crooked Rolling Eyes
I keep waiting for the arthritis to set but so far I have been lucky.

The point I was trying to make is...for some people anyway... a real analytical approach to 'chops'can be a non musical hindrance.

'Train for the game'..my old basketball coach used to say..as in lots of guys can shoot the lights out in the warmup shootaround but are useless at crunch time.
One thing that helped me was reading 'above myself'..like from the omnibook or something..that forced me to solve problems on the fly.

Now off to work...ugh
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwmol wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, I took from Warren 46 years ago. Yes, he was rather

Great thread on his picking technique. I remember him well, sitting with me and custom fitting a tourtois shell pick. I remember him having his L5 in the shop to be refretted. He used my Guild A500 on a job. I could see his frustration using a different instrument. Oh, one other note. Your PG had to be almost even with your strings. Thanks everyone for such a great post.
I'd bet we took from Warren about the same time. He was getting a re-fret job on his L5 then too. It took forever it seemed. For me I'd guess it was around '75?

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
rwmol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
I'd bet we took from Warren about the same time. He was getting a re-fret job on his L5 then too. It took forever it seemed. For me I'd guess it was around '75?

Hi Henry. This was in 1966. I remember Warren and myself going to his luthier in downtown Oakland. The luthier had just finished making a spinet from hand. It was beautiful.

You probably took lessons when he was teaching at the music store in Hayward. When I took lessons, they were out of a small room in the back of his house.

Do you remember a guitarist by the name of Dave Creamer?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the name, but honestly I don't remember any of the students names then. But I know the name Dave Creamer

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Tung

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Creamer is an amazing player. I bought a book by him in the 80s called "Advanced Arpeggio/Scale Relationship", great concepts with a ton of great subs and ideas for blowing.
rwmol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and I grew up together on the same street in San Leandra CA. We had the same guitar teacher, Bob Richards. I remember going over to this house one day and him showing his large collection of jazz LPs. His understanding and appreciation of jazz was more than I could understand at the time. His long hair and goatee were before his time. He now teaches at a number of venues in the San Francisco Bay area.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he never studied with Warren?

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
rwmol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. From what I heard at the time, he became a recluse. No longer taking any lesson. Self taught. Just him and his guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: