PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That 'jazz guitar' sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhinman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: That 'jazz guitar' sound Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to jazz guitar and own a low-end guitar and amp setup. My guitar is a Greg Bennett Malibu with SSS pickups and I have a cheap Peavey amp with some built-in effects. I also use an iPad for effects often.

I've tried a number of combinations to get the 'jazz guitar' sound, but cannot nail it down. Can anyone recommend a pedal or combination that will get me close to the sound?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: That 'jazz guitar' sound Reply with quote

mrhinman wrote:

I've tried a number of combinations to get the 'jazz guitar' sound, but cannot nail it down. Can anyone recommend a pedal or combination that will get me close to the sound?

Welcome to PJG!

Unfortunately, you're not going to really get close to a a traditional sound with that guitar design. The tonal qualities are miles away from what's most commonly used.

What I would suggest is to not fixate on 'the sound' so much. Work on the music. It's been said many times, tone comes from the player not the instrument. This is a bit of a stretch when you're working with a strat design and singles, but the fretboard and notes ARE the same.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Viper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An exception one might argue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5K6s7h-kSo

You've got to fiddle with knob so ter speak.

though long ago.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! The Song Is You! Mr. Pass.

As long as you put the guitar on the bass pick up, boost some of the low-mids. If it feels good and sounds right, do it. I use a Gibson ES-355, which is not a "jazz guitar" at all. But it feels right to me. But some guitars, most solid body's just don't physically feel right. I can't play most jazz things on them. I'm sure with practice that could change. There are enough folks who use Telecasters for instance. Ed Bickert. Stern.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

start by rolling the tone off a bit, only using the neck pickup, and simply picking very, very lightly.

thicker strings can help, but some slightly more modern jazz guitarists don't always use thick strings.
greentone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What people seem to forget when discussing Joe Pass' early 60s clip with the Fender solidbody is that he was using fat, flatwound strings. I have gotten a similar sound from a Hagstrom solidbody--not much wood there--with the same setup. (In the mid-60s, Hagstroms came from the factory set up with fairly heavy, flatwound strings. The actions were low and this really set off their ultra-thin necks.) On the neck pickup, a Hagstrom I with flatwounds sounded like a jazz box.

You can make almost any guitar sound like "that sound" by going to a medium or medium-light set of flatwound strings. A Telecaster set up this way is a serious tool. (Remember, the bebop guys in the 50s and 60s were chromatic players and bent about one note in 1000.)
zonshti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try putting 13 flat wounds
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: What he said Reply with quote

zonshti wrote:
try putting 13 flat wounds

That'll do it...solid body, archtop...doesn't matter. Also, set the action up a bit for fatter tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: