PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional oppurtunites for young musicians...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheesyMoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Professional oppurtunites for young musicians... Reply with quote

So I graduate from high school this year and my first choice of things to do afterwards is to play in the Cirque Du Soleil band, and if not that then attend either Berklee, UNT or USC... Since there is of course a possibility that I won't make it into the circus, I was wondering if there are any other similar jobs I could attempt to obtain for proffesional experience. I have heard about a program at Disney World where they have college musicians play in a big band, but unfortunately I am not a college student... does anyone know of any programs or bands that I could audition for?
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play around everywhere, dig the sh*t-f*ck gigs. Resturant gigs, dinners, just get out there and play. Dress sharp too.
CheesyMoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the thing about that is, I have been doing shitty gigs and stuff, but its with all kids my age and theres no where to move up or anything besides just making some money... I want to participate in something with somewhat established people so that I can learn from them, as opposed to fumbling in the dark with my friends... I've been in my school jazz bands for a long time but that seems only to go so far...
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheese,
You can always go to the military service of your choice Army, Navy, just kidding. Like someone said depending on where you live there's a lot of college type guitar schools. Berklee would be most happy to take a huge tuition from you, as far as scholarships let the forum know where you live and someone most likely will help you with info. peace Cool
CheesyMoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I live in central Texas... about an hour from Austin, so I guess that means I have a ridiculous amount of jam sessions probably. I can pretty much get a full ride at UT and UNT... Berklee of course will just be expensive, but it is so alluring for some reason. I think the only reason I wanted to get with a big program is because it feels secure, but I guess that doesn't really matter at this point since I still live at home. Thanks for all the replies.
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheesyMoo wrote:
Well I live in central Texas... I can pretty much get a full ride at UT and UNT...

What position did you say you played..?

But seriously, if you can get a full ride I don't see why you'd ever pass that up. Spend some time there just to see how it is, if you don't like it then leave.
CheesyMoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I guess I phrased that badly for the UNT and UT scholarships... I have a couple of grants and scholarships that pay for pretty much all of the tution of Texas state schools... these are academic scholarships. I heard that those two schools suck if you are not the best of the best... which I am hoping to be of course but I don't have the foresight to know which school is the best choice.

The only reason I wanted to get real playing experience is to get another year of practice under my belt (since I graduated from high school a year early) that way I could take full advantage of whatever music school I attend by being higher level...
riovine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I live in central Texas... about an hour from Austin, so I guess that means I have a ridiculous amount of jam sessions probably.

You should check out this place, they have a jam session every Monday, some real good players.

http://www.natespace.com/elephant/
CheesyMoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah the UNT jazz festival I will be attending since I am performing at it with my school's jazz band... I guess I'll set up a meeting with him then and make him love me... I'm not worried about the difficulty of a work load because I want to spend 12 hours a day practicing, and plus I already know lots of jazz theory and other fun stuff..

Thanks a lot, again, for all the replies this is definately the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.
scottl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! The Cirque De Soleil bands kick ass! If you can get that gig out of high school, you rock!!!!

http://www.online-discussion.com/ScottLerner/
pena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a teacher I had gave me stickers to post everywhere. Once he made it big, those stickers ended up being worth a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Biz All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: