PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II vs. ES-175 Reissue-thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjl257

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Ibanez Joe Pass Reply with quote

I bought one of these fine guitars a little over a year ago from my old friend Frank Frailer in Runcorn, Cheshire , UK .
This one had been beautifully modified for its previous owner, Les Renshaw . The work was done by Ged Green , a wonderful Luthier in Cheadle, Cheshire,
UK.
Les was dissatisfied with the tone using the original Ibanez humbucker and had heard me playing my Gretsch Super Chet at Cheadle Jazz Guitar Club.He told Ged that was the sound he was after . Ged fitted a T V Jones Magnatron and I have to say the playability of the Ibanez with the tone of the TV Jones pickup knocks the Gretsch into a cocked hat . Its crystal clear not muddy , yet its still a humbucking pickup . I use it through a Fishman SA 220 Acoustic amplifier and i`m getting the tone i`ve wanted all my life ! ( I`m 64 ) .If you search on You tube there are 3 postings under Brian J Lewis playing Stranger on The Shore , Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered and on a PRS SC J ,(Another GREAT guitar ) If I Loved you from Carousel .
I can`t praise Ged Green high enough , he is a wonderful craftsman who listens to what you want and sets up the instrument beautifully . You can FEEL the difference when you get the instrument back .
By comparison , the Epiphone Joe Pass is a pile of mass produced crap , not worthy of Joe`s name . Of course , these days theres a huge price difference due to the Ibanez`s collectability. I hope my two penny worth has helped . Best Wishes to all , Brian
gnappi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II vs. ES-175 Reissue-thoughts Reply with quote

masterforrest wrote:
Anybody tried playing both of these? Any thoughts as to which is the better jazz box? Thanks!

I believe you mean "GIBSON" re-issues? If you mean Epi 175's disregard my comments below.

I have both, a pre-production Epi JP, and a 95 Gibson ES-175. The Epi's of earlier years are excellent guitars, mellow sounding plugged in or or not.

As far as better goes, there are few guitars that equal a 175 in the price range, but on a budget older JP's are very good and IMO as good as many much more expensive guitars. New ones (JP's) are dry and lifeless.

Anyway, the day I bought my JP the guy was ringing up the sale and digging out the case, and another player asked if I was buying it as I played it. He then asked if he could try it, and when he handed it back told me he'd give me a $200 profit if I sold it to him right there. I refused and he gave me his business card saying he'd buy it any time I wanted to sell it.

I'm not going to suggest that you are going to pick up any JP and fall for it, but if you play a few I'll bet you find one that works for you. Ultimately I think you'll wind up with an ES-175 if you play a lot, or even a Heritage H-575 which both set a standard for great sound.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: