PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mental block that won't unblock?!?!?!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vracan



Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 23
Location: montreal,canada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Mental block that won't unblock?!?!?! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just joined this forum after buying the PWYH course a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else out there has already gone thru this musical block I've been stuck in for years. First let me tell you about myself a little.

I've been playing guitar for over 25years now. I had come across a mental block back in my twenties which stopped me from pursuing a professional music career(lost confidence). 15years later now and still playing, but just for fun. However this fun is starting turn into frustration to the point of selling all my gear for the first time in my life.

My problem is still the same as it was back then. This problem deals mainly with improvising. I HAVE MUCH PROBLEMS KEEPING UP WITH CHORD CHANGES WHILE I AM BUSY PROCESSING IMPROVISING! I can't "see" the next chord coming in time (although I do know it perfectly well). Often I can even forget the key completely in the middle of phrase or song!! Very embarrasing. I have always thought that i simply have a horrible short-term memory and there's nothing i can do about it. I consider myself to be very advanced, know theory very well, good finger agility, and most of all very creative. Those good points however are worth nothing, as far i'm concerned, if I can't use them in real musical time. I was and still am being consumed by this. I feel like I'm the only guitar player who has this problem since i cannot find any course or guitarist out there who talks about this type of problem.

So anyone out ther who can relate and advise how to get past it??
Victor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stackabones



Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mental block that won't unblock?!?!?! Reply with quote

vracan wrote:
I HAVE MUCH PROBLEMS KEEPING UP WITH CHORD CHANGES WHILE I AM BUSY PROCESSING IMPROVISING!


Slow down. Practice slowly.

Learn songs by heart and practice them slowly.
_________________
I'm beginning to see the light.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vracan



Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 23
Location: montreal,canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stackabones, I appreciate the reply.
But I already do practice slowly(80bpm).
And I do know the chord progressions by heart already. I just can't recall on time WHILE i'm improvising! I seem to lose my place where I am in the chord progression. However, if I stop playing i know perfectly well what the progression is.

Any other improvising practice advice??

victor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JakeJew



Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 2190
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you see the replies to your "other" post? http://www.playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4346
_________________
"Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure that it is the antithesis of self-consciousness." - Aaron Copland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vracan



Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 23
Location: montreal,canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy s--t, I tought that post did'nt go thru. I could'nt remember which forum section i had posted it so I reposted. Damnn...you see what I mean by "horrible short-term memory"??!?!?! hehe

Thanks Jakejew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sunflower



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 581

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vracan wrote:
Thanks Stackabones, I appreciate the reply.
But I already do practice slowly(80bpm).
And I do know the chord progressions by heart already. I just can't recall on time WHILE i'm improvising! I seem to lose my place where I am in the chord progression. However, if I stop playing i know perfectly well what the progression is.

Any other improvising practice advice??

victor


OK so make your self improv using only the appropriate
chord tones of the moment
that way you'll force yourself to be on Gmin7 when thats
the underlying harmony etc

and make yourself bring out the guide tones lines
that'll do it I reckon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krah13



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mental block that won't unblock?!?!?! Reply with quote

vracan wrote:
Hi guys,

I just joined this forum after buying the PWYH course a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else out there has already gone thru this musical block I've been stuck in for years. First let me tell you about myself a little.

I've been playing guitar for over 25years now. I had come across a mental block back in my twenties which stopped me from pursuing a professional music career(lost confidence). 15years later now and still playing, but just for fun. However this fun is starting turn into frustration to the point of selling all my gear for the first time in my life.

My problem is still the same as it was back then. This problem deals mainly with improvising. I HAVE MUCH PROBLEMS KEEPING UP WITH CHORD CHANGES WHILE I AM BUSY PROCESSING IMPROVISING! I can't "see" the next chord coming in time (although I do know it perfectly well). Often I can even forget the key completely in the middle of phrase or song!! Very embarrasing. I have always thought that i simply have a horrible short-term memory and there's nothing i can do about it. I consider myself to be very advanced, know theory very well, good finger agility, and most of all very creative. Those good points however are worth nothing, as far i'm concerned, if I can't use them in real musical time. I was and still am being consumed by this. I feel like I'm the only guitar player who has this problem since i cannot find any course or guitarist out there who talks about this type of problem.

So anyone out ther who can relate and advise how to get past it??
Victor


I just can try to give you some suggestions. Try to learn the chords of a standard tune by heart. Learn also the melody. Let's say that the tune is "All of me". Know the tune means to internalize the song. Be able to sing the melody while driving or walking on the street.
Then and only then you can start worrying about improvisation. You can start simply by playing only arpeggio notes over each chord. Don't think of scales. Just try to create simple melodies with the arpeggios.
I don't know if it will help you but I really wanted to share my own experience.

If you want check out my website. There are plenty of lessons about jazz guitar playing.
_________________
Krah13
www.lost-in-guitarland.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group