PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eastman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Eastman Reply with quote

It is really tough to find anything negative about these guitars.
http://12fret.com/new/eastman_thinline_guitar_pg.html

Anybody own one?
mambosun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastman Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:
It is really tough to find anything negative about these guitars.
http://12fret.com/new/eastman_thinline_guitar_pg.html

Anybody own one?

Not yet, but as a poor man ES175, I found the AR371CE particulary mouth-watering...
trotsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just ordered one of these guitars. I should get it sometime this week.
Kind of weird to buy a guitar without playing it but I have the option of returning it and the deal was so good I couldn't say no...

..although I am pretty sure my wife could've said no...

...she may be saying no for a while now... Rolling Eyes
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:

...she may be saying no for a while now... Rolling Eyes

Laughin my arse off Laughin my arse off Laughin my arse off

Guess you'll have time to get familiar with the new toy. Mr. Green

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt brother Embarassed
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it Very Happy !!

I am absolutely shocked at the quality of this guitar.

It is really amazing. I have been playing it for 2 days now and it is top shelf. I would put this thing up against any of the big name stuff and it is literally a 1/4 of the price in some instances.
The people at Bernunzio Music were great to deal with as an FYI. I dealt specifically with 'Robbie' who was solid.
Definitely would go back there for anything.
The sound is a little more acoustic then the semi hollow that I have been playing as my main guitar but that is what I was looking for. It has that wonderful woody knock you get from a 175 but sustains more towards a 335 ...kind of landing somewhere in the middle...in a really pleasant way.

The sound is perfect for me and it plays so easy it is a actually going to take a bit of an adjustment to get used to it.
Super smooth. Cool

The internet pics don't do the finish justice...they are beautiful guitars.

Very happy here.

As soon as I get a chance I will post some music with it.

I have some pictures of it here on my BLOG if you want to take a peek.

http://steeliecat.blogspot.ca/2012/04/welcome-home-for-eastman-t185.html
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, congrats on the new baby! Wink

Unfortunately can't see your pic's from where I am (stupid web filters) so I'll check them out later.

Are you playing it with the shipped strings or have you swapped them out already?

And...is the wife talking to you yet? Laughing

trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no..
I swapped the strings out immediately. I have been using the daddario (sp) Embarassed 11-49's with the unwound 'G' for about 2 yrs now and I dig em.
They are just starting to break in on the new guitar and it is a nice combination.
It is funny ya know...I am not a rocker/blues/or even fusion player for that matter and I rarely bend notes ...I don't know why I don't convert back to a wound 'G'.
I also have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity kicking around here in the basement unused at the moment.
I had convinced myself that I would replace the Kent Armstrongs immediately upon receiving this guitar with a pair of antiquitys...but you know??...these P/Us sound pretty good.
I think I will just hold off on that Wink
It is weird having a guitar with no dings in it Shocked ...it is a little nerve wracking.
As for the wife...I just finished playing a version of 'The Nearness of You' upstairs and she came over ..gave me a hug and said "You know..that guitar does sound nice"...
Very good sign!!!! Laughing
aikijerry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Eastman - quality issues? Reply with quote

I recently purchased an Eastman 910 archtop over Ebay and ended up returning it. It was beautiful to look at but the sound was extremely disappointing. The low E and A strings sounded almost rubbery - very little resonance, and the guitar on the whole had very little projection. Nothing like what I would have expected from a solid, carved archtop. My Korean L5 copy sounds better acoustically. I was heart broken. Furthermore, my repair guy - a real expert on archtops - said that Eastman is the only brand he will not work on - the finish is too inferior for a pricy guitar. A couple that he did work on were damaged merely by using masking tape to protect areas he worked on. The finsih came off with the tape. That never happened on any other guitar he said. So the question is have any others heard that complaint or found that to be true?. And anyone have a 910 or similar that they can tell me about? I know every instrument is different and obviously it isn't a good idea to buy on line. It just looked so well made. Just not worth even the reasonable price.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastman - quality issues? Reply with quote

aikijerry wrote:
A couple that he did work on were damaged merely by using masking tape to protect areas he worked on. The finsih came off with the tape.

WOW, Really?!? Oh my ?????

I can't imagine mask taking off finish like that unless the stuff was never really stuck in the first place. Painting an ultra dusty, oily or not totally cured surface could cause this I guess...just never seen it. Confused

Anyway, welcome to PJG! Cool

trotsky

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that really sucks... Rolling Eyes and to be honest that is exactly what I expected with my guitar but so far it is absolutely beyond belief to the good side.
When I am at work all I can think about is playing the thing...maybe I got lucky...but I am totally OK with that.
I am sorry about your luck... And I am not trying to be flippant at all..thats the Sh*ts brother.
gnappi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastman - quality issues? Reply with quote

aikijerry wrote:

Furthermore, my repair guy - a real expert on archtops - said that Eastman is the only brand he will not work on - the finish is too inferior for a pricy guitar. A couple that he did work on were damaged merely by using masking tape to protect areas he worked on. The finsih came off with the tape. That never happened on any other guitar he said. So the question is have any others heard that complaint or found that to be true?. And anyone have a 910 or similar that they can tell me about? I know every instrument is different and obviously it isn't a good idea to buy on line. It just looked so well made. Just not worth even the reasonable price.

Just a heads up on the finish issue. After reading this post I posted a comment on it in another Jazz board, and an Eastman rep wrote the following:

We are currently in the process of testing new paint suppliers. We have been trying some paint that is used by Collings, PRS, etc and it works very well!

The finish we apply is a Nitrocellulose Lacquer that is not altered very much from the old school formulas. The reason it is brittle is due to the fact that we dont use any plasticizers or other agents that change the elasticity of the finish itself. We also do not use a poly base coat either. Everything we do is the old school way, and yes some may complain that the instrument wears, but that is the intention i suppose. We also make sure the final finish thickness is VERY thin. This is why our instruments sound the way they do. They arent wearing a heavy jacket of finish.

We make beautiful instruments, Yes, but we dont want to make coffee tables either. Striking that balance is key, and we feel that the lacquer we use is protective when taken care of properly, and is not sticky when playing which is a key factor for us.

Also, We repair the lacquer on customers instruments with ease if need be. We often use the Re-Ranch cans here in the shop for quick touch ups if there is an issue. If regular masking tape takes off the finish, i am curious to see the instrument. We always look for ways to improve, and we will continue to do so. These threads are helpful because then we can work on improvements.

If it were up to me, id say use all Polyurethane, but most purists request that we use real Nitrocellulose Lacquer so we kindly oblige. Polyurethane, when applied properly, is a vastly superior finish that protects much better, glosses much better, sands easier, and has no sound difference. No scientific study has ever proven that a person can hear the difference between Polyurethane and Nitrocellulose Lacquer, and most people couldn't even point out which guitar is which when looking with their own two eyes! If one is much thicker than the other, that will affect the sound, but then it is down to the mass. French polish is a different story though.

QUOTE OFF

So they are aware of the issue and publicly they announced their search for a a solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: