PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A smaller guitar for traveling. . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfrider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: A smaller guitar for traveling. . . . Reply with quote

I live in Southern California but I travel a lot since I have family scattered all over the USA. . .I also go to Spain in the summers. . .

A couple of years ago Benedetto created a small guitar called the Andy which the lower price guitar has been discontinued.

I am looking or a guitar with a lower bout of 14 to 16 inches so it can travel in the overhead compartment and give me a rich sound. . . .

any ideas. . .

Surf's Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
croth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: A smaller guitar for traveling. . . . Reply with quote

surfrider wrote:
I live in Southern California but I travel a lot since I have family scattered all over the USA. . .I also go to Spain in the summers. . .

A couple of years ago Benedetto created a small guitar called the Andy which the lower price guitar has been discontinued.

I am looking or a guitar with a lower bout of 14 to 16 inches so it can travel in the overhead compartment and give me a rich sound. . . .

any ideas. . .

Surf's Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not exactly sure of what you're looking for, but it's my humble opinion that, unless you want some acoustic property, the best "travel" guitar is one of the Steinbergers. The Spirit, for example, is under $400 and is a great playing and sounding guitar with a lot of features. I loved my Spirit, which I traveled with extensively, so much that I recently 'upgraded' to a Synapse. To be frank, the Spirit was lighter and did the job well enough.

I carry a small headphone amp with it, either a Pandora or a Tascam GT-1 and the combination allows me to play it even at night without disturbing my wife for example.

If you're looking for something with more acoustic properties, that's another matter.

Best of luck witrh your decision.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Eastman going to make/was making a Les Paul sized deeper hollowbody? I gotta see if I can find a pic...I remember someone saying maybe it was released overseas first...it was gorgeous.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For travel jazz, I like playing my Telecaster. I have it strung with 11-50 flatwound strings, which really gives it a jazzy, meaty sound. The guitar is almost indestructible, so the airlines can have at it. It's an '83 toploader--not super vintage, even though it's not too plentiful. For this job, I'd recommend that folks use a MIM 'caster. Can't hurt them and they sound great.
gnappi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone wrote:
For travel jazz, I like playing my Telecaster. I have it strung with 11-50 flatwound strings, which really gives it a jazzy, meaty sound. The guitar is almost indestructible, so the airlines can have at it. It's an '83 toploader--not super vintage, even though it's not too plentiful. For this job, I'd recommend that folks use a MIM 'caster. Can't hurt them and they sound great.

+1 on the telecaster

I have three thinline Telecasters, not sonically a Martin "D" series but very light and playable. My set neck JA90 is the best of the three.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: