PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recording archtop: clicking noises from the pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazznote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: recording archtop: clicking noises from the pick Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the midst of producing my first (own) cd. It's a trio without drums, recorded with just three mikes - one in front of the guitar speaker, one in front of the saxplayer and one in front of the double bass, so every little noise is audible.
On the fast tempos i sometimes hear clicking noises, probably from the pick (stonepick) touching or hitting the pickup accidentally. This bothers me, but i seem to be the only one caring. The engineer thinks that this is okay and so does my wife and my two adult sons.

Of course noises of strings hitting the fingerboard are audible from the bass, also the saxophonekeys are audible sometimes.

Does anybody have experiences with this? What would be the common way - remove it? I can not remember hearing clicking noises on the recordings of my favorite players.

Thanks,
JN
2003 L5 CES, 1999 LeGrand, Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp, Ernie Ball Stereo Volume Pedal, AER Compact 60 Amps, Clarus 2R amp, Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 cabinets
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. It is worse on some guitars than on others. It is very prominent on my Gibson ES-175 (the pick hits the strings when I pick _right_ where the front edge of the pickup is). The worst, however, is on my Fender Telecasters. If a pick hits the covers of the neck pickups on them...YIKES!

In the case of the 175, I move my picking up a bit towards the fingerboard. On the 175 there is room between the pickup and the neck for this.

On the Telecasters I either move a little towards the bridge, or I use my thumb, a la Wes Montgomery. I like the thumb on the Telecaster, as it happens.

I don't notice it as much on my other archtops and solidbodies.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: recording archtop: clicking noises from the pick Reply with quote

jazznote wrote:
Of course noises of strings hitting the fingerboard are audible from the bass, also the saxophonekeys are audible sometimes.

Does anybody have experiences with this? What would be the common way - remove it? I can not remember hearing clicking noises on the recordings of my favorite players.

Some thoughts :
‘Favorite players’ I presume means for the most part old recordings. Things have changed radically since then, fidelity, dynamic range and recording methods reveal A LOT more detail.

Second, you’re listening too hard! Laughing What I mean is I do the same thing too often and pick out (and trip on) little details most people don’t or see as distracting as we do when auditing ourselves.

Additionally I've tried steel and stone picks some time ago and bottomline is they are noisy. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
gnappi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: recording archtop: clicking noises from the pick Reply with quote

jazznote wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,
JN

I solved pick noise by using a softer pick, staying away from the pups as best I can. Stubby picks and a lower pup height help too.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: