PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday cheers to Ed Bickert/Ted Greene (Jazz Telecaster)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Holiday cheers to Ed Bickert/Ted Greene (Jazz Telecaster) Reply with quote

I took a "Christmas Stocking" set of flatwound 11-50 strings and wound them up on one of my Telecasters. Predictably, the results have been great. What a jazzy guitar. This guitar was a nice, jazz guitar before (10-46 round wound strings). Now, however, with the action lowered a bit, the guitar has really become quite useful to me. You just need to do two things: (1) put felt/foam under the strings at the headstock to prevent stray/crazy overtones from ringing out on the guitar, and (2) remember to palm mute at the bridge (standard Telecaster technique) to cut the incredibly long string decay. Otherwise, the guitar is easy to get a jazz box sound out of with the comparatively fat strings on it. NICE guitar. Can't wait for next gig.
Encinitastubes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post here. I love Ted Greene and Ed Bickert's use of a Tele. Very different. Ted seemed to bring out the Fender in the Tele, with church-like reverb. Ed seemed to cop a more archtop sound. One thing that both did at different times was use a humbucker in the neck. For the life of me, though, I can't detect much difference in tone. Perhaps they were going after the same sound, albeit with less hum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: