PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoelace alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mambosun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Shoelace alternative Reply with quote

What sort of accessory would you recommend to tame the rather metallic resonance that emanates from the portion of strings between tailpiece and bridge?
Shoelace I currently tried is pretty effective and cheap, but definitively degrades the archtop cosmetics.
Is there any already-made or DYI solutions you would suggest?
gnappi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shoelace alternative Reply with quote

mambosun wrote:
What sort of accessory would you recommend to tame the rather metallic resonance that emanates from the portion of strings between tailpiece and bridge?
Shoelace I currently tried is pretty effective and cheap, but definitively degrades the archtop cosmetics.

A slice of black high density foam like the stuff they ship electronic circuit boards is pretty unobtrusive looking and easily fashioned.

Gary
mambosun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoelace alternative Reply with quote

gnappi wrote:
mambosun wrote:

A slice of black high density foam like the stuff they ship electronic circuit boards is pretty unobtrusive looking and easily fashioned.

Thanks for advice.
I just experimented with 3 rubber joints, commonly used to obturate water in a tap, hence cheap and easy to find.
It's plain rubber , 10mm diametre and 5 mm thick....
It's very effective while not being too visually protrusive
greentone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool tip on the water tap rubber. I use packing foam. The key is to mute those nasty, random harmonic producing sources. I mute the strings behind the nut at the headstock, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: