PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jazz guitar masterclass vol2, right hand picking mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitar88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: jazz guitar masterclass vol2, right hand picking mode Reply with quote

hi there,

firstly, thanks to Chris and all other helping to make this video happen!
It will improve my playing a lot, that's for certain.

I am playing rhythm guitar since a couple of years in a big band and in a piano bebop trio, way way below from the skills of so many other guitarists in this forum.

My "problem" in vol 2, lesson 3, creating melody over g minor forms, and that seems to be a matter of general interest:
As far as I can identify from the video, notes on one string (b2 or e1) that are following a note on the same string are picked using different methods: Once they are picked by the same finger (e.g. ring finger), a bit later (or earlier) they are picked by different fingers (e.g. ring finger, then index or vice versa).

I understand that Chris has got some experience from classical guitar playing (me not, unfortunately), is this a reason why?
Or is there any "system" behind that method?

Personally, I am coming from a "3-finger-picking" on the acoustic guitar (before getting involved in jazz), using the index for g3, middle finger for b2, ring finger (anulus) for e1 and the thumb for bass strings e6-d4.

Do I have to switch to the "classical method" if I want to proceed effectively with jgvm 1&2 or can I stick to my 3-finger-picking?

What do you think?
Many thanks to any input.

Torsten
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an ideal setting you would use two fingers to play multiple notes on one string (kind of in the same way that you might go 'down up down up' with a pick). Using one finger only might be a little like using, say just a down stroke with a pick. In an improv setting sometimes I do use just one finger, and it may not always be the correct thing to do but it's what feels right at the time. And of course there is a different tonal effect with just one finger. But to answer your question, it certainly doesn't hurt to adopt a more classical right hand fingering, where each note is usually struck with a separate finger. But you can certainly experiment. Hope that helps.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: