PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricky56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Just wanted say hi and that I'm a true neophyte. Just learning to play guitar at the age of 56. I had an earlier post but deleted it as I didn't think it through.
I have read Chris' article on "How to Get a Great Clean Jazz Guitar Sound". Since I'm just starting to learn guitar ,I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew so to speak. I have been reading alot lately on the forums and see that I have much to learn and practice. I have loved the Wes Montgomery style as well as most jazz artist's music for 40 years. I regret not having learned guitar earlier in my life. Is it too late to do this. I realize and appreciate how many of you have spent the hours and years to follow your dreams and talents to play guitar. I feel like I have chosen to climb K2(many attempts and few success's in relation to Mt. Everest)after researching Jazz guitar. Nevertheless, I'm moving forward and taking lessons ASAP. What guitar should I start out with? Ease of play, low vs high action etc. Thank you for your input.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

First of all it's never too late! The idea of getting lessons could very well help move you along considerably more quickly!

"Biting off more than you can chew" is probably not entirely accurate when you take into consideration that it's not the genre you have chosen as much as it is the level within that genre you're using as reference points. With the idea of you need to crawl before you walk, walk before you run...people like Montgomery are full on competition sprinters!! A person simply can not get to that level without a good amount of time and preparation! So ease up on your expectations, take smaller bites! Wink

As guitars go there are many, many darn good guitars for very reasonable prices these days. High action is never a good things. What you base your decision making on is simply enough what feels good, what do you like (try to understand why you like it) and it encourages you to play/practice! It's really that simple! Don't get caught up in all the fancy custom shop guitars and boutique amps (at least yet). Go with something(s) that get the job done, helps you evolve to your next level and most importantly keeps it fun! If it isn't fun, what's the point, right?

Cheers! Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Ricky56

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki
Thanks for the encouragement and tips on begining my journey. What do you think about a Heritage archtop guitar ? I have my eyes on one and its a beauty. This journey is about me having fun and thank you for reminding me of that
Rick Smile
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky56 wrote:
Gorecki
Thanks for the encouragement and tips on begining my journey. What do you think about a Heritage archtop guitar ? I have my eyes on one and its a beauty. This journey is about me having fun and thank you for reminding me of that
Rick Smile

My pleasure, if it's any consolation I've been on the journey (on and off) for 40 years! Wink There is ALWAYS something to learn (or in my case re-learn), get better at and have fun with!

Heritage makes some great guitars! I have a couple of friends who have and LOVE them, one's an endorsee. So I suspect you'll be thrilled with it. Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Ricky56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian
Thank you ! I pick up the guitar in two weeks.
Rick
GypsyBop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 52 yrs old and have been playing guitar since I was a teenager but I am learning to play jazz and having a ball learning new stuff! It's never too late to try!
Ricky56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GypsyBop wrote:
I am 52 yrs old and have been playing guitar since I was a teenager but I am learning to play jazz and having a ball learning new stuff! It's never too late to try!

Thanks for the encouragement GB !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: