PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JGVM Vol 2, Lesson 2 Diminshed Chords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilwin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: JGVM Vol 2, Lesson 2 Diminshed Chords Reply with quote

In the Lesson the following is explained:

Quote:
The G diminished chord is made up of the notes G, Bb and Db. The diminished 7th (or added minor 6th) is an added E note. However, the important note (that differentiates the chord from a minor chord) is the flattened 5th

In my thinking, the E is a major sixth, not a minor sixth. Is this just a typo or is there a flaw in my thinking?

Thank you! So far your course seems very helpful and promising. I am progressing quite slow, because I don't have much time to study it, but it seems like it is a very comprehensive approach to jazz guitar.

[/quote]
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: JGVM Vol 2, Lesson 2 Diminshed Chords Reply with quote

wilwin wrote:
In the Lesson the following is explained:

Quote:
The G diminished chord is made up of the notes G, Bb and Db. The diminished 7th (or added minor 6th) is an added E note. However, the important note (that differentiates the chord from a minor chord) is the flattened 5th

In my thinking, the E is a major sixth, not a minor sixth. Is this just a typo or is there a flaw in my thinking?

Thank you! So far your course seems very helpful and promising. I am progressing quite slow, because I don't have much time to study it, but it seems like it is a very comprehensive approach to jazz guitar.

Hello!
Unfortunately the language used to communicate music can sometimes get a little inconsistent. But in this case I do believe what you are thinking is true, it's wrong. The terms minor or major sixth are ones I never use because it's confusing. 'Technically' it's a major sixth and technically there's no such thing as a minor sixth. But a flat, flat seven is actually a sixth (needing no major/minor designation). Meaning one semitone less than a sixth is a sharp fifth, one semitone greater is a dominant seven.

Now what I'm afraid Chris was thinking at the time was the interval descending to the sixth is a minor third. Not sure.

Hope it helps!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: