PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Harmony upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnappi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Korean Harmony upgrades Reply with quote

Generally I don't get into upgrades on Gibson or Gibson type guitars... I either like them, or don't buy them. Fender, that's another story Smile

At a guitar show I stumbled onto this really well made Harmony 335 clone and since it was only $150 I bought it without plugging it in, deliberately intending to upgrade it if it sounded like crap... which it ultimately did... sound like crap that is. The original pups were so light it felt (and sounded like) they used refrigerator magnets in them.

Anyway...

I had one pair each of older DiMarzio 12 screw, and Schaller HB pups and picked one each. I also had several switchcraft switches and stereo jacks (I use stereo jacks and ground the second tip for a better more solid ground) I also had some old Gibson style shielded wire to replace some or all of the wiring.

With my hopes high and expectations low I spent a day re-working it.

The result was FAR better than I had hoped for. I have several genuine Gibson 335 / 135 type guitars and this one takes a back seat to none of them!

It feels and sounds like a 60's ES-335. Ok, so now it's a $150 guitar with $250 worth of pups in it but it was well worth the effort and cost. It's the one on the tight, The Epi is my next project!

Gary
GypsyBop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can...I'd love to see pics of this guitar. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: