PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from a new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thor von clemson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Hello from a new member Reply with quote

Hello there.

My name is Zach and I am 22 years old. I have been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now. I studied guitar in college for 3 years. I have been playing mostly progressive metal over the years, however the time has come for me to move on to something else. I feel Jazz is where my heart is, so I have decided that I am going to actively pursue it. My fingers seem to work better when I play jazz. Some could say I have converted from the "dark side"..

My gear has changed very much over the years. I have sold all my high end guitars (USA Jacksons), as well as most of my amps in order to simplify my rig. I am currently playing a strat mutt that I got for free. It is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played, and it does not sound that bad. I am running that into a POD XT Live that is powered by a Crate PowerBlock into a custom made 2x12 cab with sheffield speakers in it. My rig is simple, versatile, easy to transport, and sounds great. I am going to be building a telecaster around june. I also play an Ibanez acoustic guitar.

In college, I studied chord theory and technique. I have forgotten a lot of it because I do not use it anymore, however now that I am getting back into it the memories seem to be resurfacing. Are there any good DVD's out there for Jazz guitarist that focus on chord theory, scales, and technique? I am looking for something that is set up with more of a lesson type feel to it. A dvd with a book would be great. I am a visual learner, and the combination of the dvd and book would help me pick things up very quickly.

I look forward to talking Jazz with all you!

Bless,

Zach
draqza

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zach, welcome to the board. I'm also 22 and playing a Strat for this stuff right now... yay, somebody else to play stuff with completely unjazzy tones! Razz

A search on Musician's Friend turned up Alfred Beginning Jazz Guitar (Book/DVD), but I don't know how good it is. It may also be the case that since you've studied it some before and you've been playing prog stuff it's below what you actually need.
thor von clemson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add a few things..

First off, I live in the northwest suburbs of Minnesota. It is currently -15 degrees outside.. Crying or Very sad

I looked into a few vids and found a few that might work.

The first is RHYTHM GUITAR CHORD SYSTEM by Mel Bay.

Second is Jazz soloing basics by Corey Christiansen.

Third is COMPLETE JAZZ GUITAR METHOD by Mike Christiansen.

I really have no clue where to start. I guess something that is well rounded would be best.
ourway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thor.
If it wouldn't be too much to ask. Who left the door open up there? I had a wind chill temp of -27 this morning in southern Wisconsin. To cold to snowmobile so I'll just sit here and Tune up.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thor,
I started out with a DVD called Playing & Understanding Jazz Guitar by Fred Sokolow. Just Google his name, something will come up. peace
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thor and others on this site...I've looked through several threads and there is some very interesting stuff here! I thought it would be interesting to see what a jazz guitar players' site might be like.

Anyone have interest our experience in Brazilian jazz and music? Since bossa nova emerged, this style has had such an impact on American jazz, and I love it for what it is as well.

I've gotten back to playing guitar after a few decades doing other things, used to play gigs in more a folk rock sort of style, mostly my own songs. Now i'm really dedicated to playing jazz, meaning primarily knowing the music from a cleaner theoretical basis, playing beyond the first position on the neck Confused Smile and getting a good handle on the responsibilities of playing with others.

In the meantime I've fallen totally in love with Brazilian jazz, listen to a lot of it. learning Brazilian Portuguese, singing in the language and mainly getting the guitar rhythms and chord voicings down.

Would love to hear from anyone else with similar interests, also will be interested in what you all have to share about your jazz adventures in general.

I'll post this on a separate topic just in case there are some Brasilophiles out there who haven't checked into this one.

cheers.

ati
thor von clemson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourway.... I think the people in the Dakotas left the door open. Apparently, that is where all the ass clenching cold came from.
It is too cold to go outside and do anything, and since my guitar is out of service for a while, I am stuck playing PS2. I am closing in on 60 hours on Suikoden III, and I am almost done. Once I finish that, I will have so much more time to play guitar..

I will look into your guys' suggestions and let you know what I come up with. My fiance and I are building a house right now and we are getting married in June. Shocked We are doing a lot of the work ourselves (her dad is the builder so she grew up with this stuff. Hard to believe an angel like that knows more about construction than most men), and between building and wedding stuff I am not going to have a lot of time to play until after the honeymoon. I promised her I would help her with wedding stuff as much as possible after I finished my game... looks like I will have to wait a few months to really get into it. In the meantime, I will find some good scales to noodle around on with a metronome and possibly some backing tracks.

Thor
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thor,
Dude you need to sit that little lady down and explain that your music comes first he he, I am kidding big time, keep the peace or lose the piece. No dis-respect intended. Congrats are in order for sure, I was thinking of a site that has a truck load of good info. so here it is http://jazz-primer.com/
good luck with all and I hope this helps. peace Cool
draqza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
thor,
Dude you need to sit that little lady down and explain that your music comes first he he, I am kidding big time, keep the peace or lose the piece. No dis-respect intended. Congrats are in order for sure, I was thinking of a site that has a truck load of good info. so here it is http://jazz-primer.com/
good luck with all and I hope this helps. peace Cool

That's funny, I remember one of my guitar teachers tell me a story... it amounted to "Well, after I got married to my first wife, we were on the way to the airport to catch a flight for our honeymoon when I realized I'd forgotten to bring a guitar. I said I wanted to go back to get one, and she couldn't understand why; I asked if she had brought books to read, and she said yes but that she didn't see the connection. And that's when I knew it just wasn't going to work out."

Seriously though, congrats on the engagement/wedding/new house stuff Smile
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfonso, thank you for the jazz primer site. What a great forum this is, just found it couple days ago.

Along this thread I fully agree with the comments on how difficult it can be to get an organized program underway in order to get the fundamentals down. I can do some real neat things on the guitar and then there are so many things I feel clueless about, or things I once knew and now slip away.

I'm going to look into Chris's resources here, there's a course before the PWYH. Although I've done many many things in my 52 years for which self motivation and all that have been essential, that very piece seems especially difficult for me anyway with guitar (is it the 6 strings, the 14 frets, the combination of all that--there are endless ways to play the same chords, most are important because although technically they are the same they each have their own personaltiy etcetera!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Confused Smile

good luck with your explorations and i will come back to tell you what i've found if any good at all.

may i make a suggestion on the combo of marriage/relationship and guitar/music? A real wonderful way to make connection is through music and really sitting down to listen to music together can be romantic, inspirational and really feed two people's interests even if one is a musician and the other is not. can there be love without music? hmmm hardly I'd say. Finding some neat tunes that have some kinda gentle,l romantic emotional feel to them--everyone has done these--wes montgomery, pat metheny, keith jarrett, coltrane, basie, miles, sting, frisell, --some concentrate their efforts on this sort of style, others just have a few gems although they mostly play more technically, more loudly and so on. BUT sitting or lying down with your honey and just really listening to the nuances in so many of these tunes can fill ones soul---with romance, with pleasure, with just feeling good and also with finding just a few more nuances in harmony time form construction. Just a thought...and it's true many people who aren't musicians need to be gently and playfully introduced to the art of listening to music carefully and with concentrated attention. that is different than music as a "sound track" to whatever else is going on, isn't it.

all best,

brazjazz
thor von clemson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kind of a drag not having more time to play guitar and stuff, but after the wedding and stuff I should have more time to spend playing guitar and stuff. It will be nice because we wont have to work as hard to see each other. We live a few cities apart, and it typically takes 30 minutes to drive to see her (it also cost me a lot for gas in my pickup). When we are living together, I will not have to worry about that as much. I will come home and she will be there. I do not have to worry about driving back to my house.

When we go on our honeymoon, I am not bringing a guitar with me... The goal is to bring one back! We are going to spend a few weeks in Phoenix at her folk's summer house, and I am hoping to pickup a new axe somewhere in Arizona or California. I figued out a way to spend money on guitars and not have her kill me... I showed her some of the daisy rock guitars and she loved them. I can buy her one at the same time and everything will be ok.

Hopefully no kids will come around for 3-4 years. That will give me lots of time to buy gear, play guitar, spend time with my wife, and do things in general. I work long days, however I usually have 2-3 days off during a given week.

I am thinking about picking up Jimmy Bruno's Art of Picking book to keep my busy before the wedding. We could all use some work on our picking, and from what I understand that guy can work miracles with a little discipline and practice.. After the wedding, the plan is to hit the Jazz like a friggin hurricane.
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great deal thor, have fun with all of that ! and congratulations...i loved the daisy guitar idea, before long you'll be jamming together one way or another!

hey no kidding you can make music with someone who's just learning can't you, just gotta keep your own stuff in gear

cheers!

braz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: